Nicola-mod
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Experience:  Moderator
73944119

A Solicitor has sent me a final warning letter regarding issues

Customer Question

A Solicitor has sent me a final warning letter regarding issues on a property I was selling to a gentleman of Iraqi nationality whom I now know was not the actual buyer but was acting a frontman for some-one else. This person had previously been using a different solicitor at the outset of the deal and had agreed the initial terms drawn up between both parties.

The original agreement was that the property was to be sold with an existing tenant on the ground floor who is also of Iraqi Nationality. The buyer asked if the tenant could be evicted but I informed him it was to be sold with existing tenancies, however due to non payment of Building Insurance by the existing tenant I was advised that I had sufficient grounds to forfeit his lease. After 2 written warning letters I advised the potential purchaser that the Tenant may be evicted after all and he would have sole occupancy if the court agreed. The purchaser gave me his assurance that he would stand all court costs involved as it was in the buyers interests to have sole occupancy and he left me a deposit on account towards costs involved.
The sitting tenant used a Solicitor who won the case for him and I was left with considerable costs.
The buyer then went to the Solicitor who had acted for the Tenant in the property and this Solicitor has sent me a totally vindictive and without substance warning letter, accusing me of extorting money from his client.
Until this letter was received I believed the deal was going ahead with the original solicitor as planned.
The new Solicitor is not in possession of the first Solicitors papers and is not aware of the original terms agreed and is not even a Solicitor trained in property law.
The letter head I have received from him states he is in Injury law and I do not know how he can possibly know the ins and outs of property law.

I telephoned the Solicitor to discuss the letter as I was totally shook up by the contents of it, and also to advise the Solicitor that another Solicitor is involved in the deal. The Solicitor informed me that his client has advised him to get the money he gave to me at any costs, and that his client has plenty of cash to give to him to to enable this to be retrieved from me by any means possible.
I have been in business 40 years and have never had dealings with any solicitor who uses such arrogant tones and blunders into a case without full facts. The whole thing seems shady, and the fact that the new Solicitor is now acting for an Iraqi man whom was previously a rival of my tenant who is also from Iraq does not make sense.
I would appreciate your comments as something is not right with this firm of Solicitors who seem to deal with only vulnerable non-English speaking clients who seem to deal in cash only.
The Solicitor in his letter to me also criticises my own Solicitor's work on the contract that was drawn up stating that it "transactions are ambiguous in nature and full of anomalies." This does not seem to me to be professional behaviour expected of someone who is dealing with law and is a supposedly member of the Law Society.
I would appreciate your comments.
Expert:  Joshua replied 3 years ago.

Josh-2010 :

Thanks for your question. Please kindly RATE my answer when you are satisfied

Josh-2010 :

What evidence do you have of the buyers assurance that he would be liable for all costs you refer to please? You have of course the deposit he transferred? DO you have any email or other correspondence in this respect of was everything agreed verbally?

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an information request here from the Expert. This means they need to know more details before they will be able to give you a full answer.