Im looking to buy a three storey maisonette in central London

Customer Question

I'm looking to buy a three storey maisonette in central London and am planning to put an unofficial terrace on an already decked flat roof. My plan was to put non-fixed railing (weighted down with heavy slab of concrete) and some box plants onto the roof. If the freeholder on the property is ok with this (he is) can neighbours or the council challenge the use of this space as an unofficial terrace given nothing on the roof is fixed?
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 3 years ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your enquiry.

To enable me to answer you fully, could you please confirm the following-

1. What is the terrace used for at present, if anything?

2. In which Council is the property situated?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The terrace is not used for anything but the developer has already put decking on it. The roof sits on top of our own second floor staircase (we have floors 1 to 3 of the entire building). It's in the Kensington and Chelsea borough. If you go to winkworth's website and search for properties for sale in w11 between two and three million you can find a property on portobello road. Look at the pics and the floor plans and you'll get a better idea. Thanks
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, I still need the answers

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

1. Are your proposals structurally sound?

2. Does the area form part of your demised property under the lease? Ie is it in your lease plan or does it form part of the common areas as a whole?

3. Is the property in any form of conservation area?

4. If you did the works and were forced to undo them what would it cost?

5. Have the other tenants been there for longer than 3 months?

Just a quick reminder, there is an information request here from the Expert. This means they need to know more details before they will be able to give you a full answer.