Nicola-mod
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Experience:  Moderator
73944119

I was involved in a fraud scheme and a fraudster from London

Customer Question

I was involved in a fraud scheme and a fraudster from London took 820 GBP from me through Western Union.
On Feb the 21'st 2011 i received an E-mail from so called agent of Santiff Group employment agency offering me a job in a Hotel in London. I replied to the E-mail because I was unemployed at the time and sent them my CV as they asked me. We wrote to each other some E-mails and I was approved for the position. Because I come from Bulgaria and I need a Work permit so i can work in the UK they wrote to me that they have to apply for a Work Permit from the Home Office in UK. In order for them to get a Work Permit for me they wrote that I need to prove before the Home office that i am able to support myself in the first month of my stay in the Hotel with my own money. Then they wrote to me that i have to organize sending money to myself and this could be done with a friend of mine and i have to give him the amount of 820 GBP so he can send the money to my name in London through the Western Union money transfer agency. I did as they advised me and asked my brother in law to send my money to me through the Western Union. The agent in a Western Union office in Cooperative Bank, Targovishte, Bulgaria told me that with the document she gave me and my ID i can collect the money from a Western Union office in London. All this happened on March the 2'nd 2011. Then I got a message from the so called agent of Santiff Group that I have to send them a copy of the Money Sending form so they can apply for a Work Permit from the Home Office. I sent the scanned copy of the form and never heard from them any more. Then i got suspicious and went to ask in the Western Union office at the Cooperative Bank in my home town of Targovishte, Bulgaria and i was told that no one except me can take the money. After 16 days just on March the 19'th i was told that the money were taken in London from somebody. I went to report the matter to the Police and told them the story. They carried out an investigation and asked Western Union agency in London to send them the copy of the To Receive Money form but after that they said that they can not do anything more than this. I could not travel to London and report the matter to the police. After a year and nine months i saved some money and traveled to Scotland and stayed in a friend and went to Police but i was told that i have to report it to Police in London. I reported the matter to Action Fraud Police and they sent me a reference number and a pin but never heard from them after. What i have to do from now on, can i take an action against the Western Union through the Small Claims Court or have to wait to get an answer from the Police. Could you please help me.
Expert:  Joshua replied 3 years ago.

Josh-2010 :

Thanks for your question. Please kindly RATE my answer when you are satisfied

Josh-2010 :

Did you obtain a crime reference number from the police please?

JACUSTOMER-82sy1m69- :

Yes and it is NFRC130600278800

Josh-2010 :

thank you. . Have you asked the police for an update?

JACUSTOMER-82sy1m69- :

I don't know how to ask them for it

Josh-2010 :

you can provide an update for your report online using the following link:

Josh-2010 :

http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/how-to-update-my-fraud-report

Josh-2010 :

alternatively, you can contact the police using the following number: +44(NNN) NNN-NNNN/strong>

Josh-2010 :

unfortunately, Western Union payments are a favourite of fraudsters as they are essentially untraceable, despite what they tell you, anyone can collect the payments they have the reference number that you are asked to provide

Josh-2010 :

would you like to continue?

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

To rate your answer, you can go to your question page, and click one of the five faces below your Expert's answer. Please be sure you are logged in with your username and password XXXXX you will not be able to view or rate your answer.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on this page as you need until you are satisfied.