Nicola-mod, Moderator
Experience:  Moderator

1 accepted a fixed penalty of £60 for 37 mph offence in manchester.

Customer Question

1 accepted a fixed penalty of £60 for 37 mph offence in manchester. I sent off my money and a photolicence together with the relevant parpart on the 15th of June. I I need my licence back before next wednesday because i have a holiday booked to take the grandchildren to Spain. I cannot dare go abroad without my licence. I have tried telephoning their number that they give out for contact at least 12 times per day and always get the same message that I think it is just a standard answer machine while the do something ellse. I have written to them explaining the situation last week and the week before. I only got an autamatic receipt message . The whole system is very poor, if i was a day late paying my fine I would have been in serious trouble, but they can ignore my requests and not even the courtesy of an expnation for the length of time. I am now getting desperate, They do not even give you an address to call in, only a postcode. Please can you advise how i can get a quick positive outcome

Thank you for your question . My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

I am sorry but I cannot give you any good news. I know how inefficient the DVLA are. They are typical of public sector workers.

However, there is nothing that can be done to change that. You cannot force the DVLA to be more efficient than they are. Trying to find the responsible person at the DVLA is like nailing a jellyfish to a door.

Come what may, they have your licence to endorse it and they will, I'm afraid, send it back at their leisure. You can always telephone and chase but there is no legal means of forcing them to hand it back. Even if you went to court to seek a mandatory injunction order it would be refused because the DVLA are doing nothing unlawful and are not at risk of doing so.

When you hand your licence to a police station you get a receipt which becomes your licence until it is returned but unfortunately not so with the DVLA.

In fairness, if you sent it in on the 15 June then it was always a risk that you wouldn't have it back in time Im afraid. The DVLA usually do warn people that it will take in the region of 6 weeks.

That said, there's nothing that you could have done differently as you were under an obligation to send your licence in to avoid a further offence.

I'm very sorry but i have to give you truthful information.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

for jomo1972, what would be the worst case senario if i drove abroad , I had my insurance and passport and if stoppedc asked them to check with swansea?

You are still entitled to drive abroad.

Your licence is not your entitlement. Your licence is just proof of your entitlement to drive.

You do not commit any traffic offences in driving abroad.

The only issue though is that you would be unable to prove that you are entitled to drive abroad and its fair to say that may cause inconvenience if you are stopped.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

To rate your answer, you can go to your question page, and click one of the five faces below your Expert's answer. Please be sure you are logged in with your username and password or you will not be able to view or rate your answer.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.