Nicola-mod
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Experience:  Moderator
73944119

My husband 52and I 66 have lived apart for 4 years due to his

Customer Question

My husband 52and I 66 have lived apart for 4 years due to his affairs the last one with a girl of 21 he pays my bills and house keeping and we are amicable , we sold our large house and I bought a bungalow which is paid for we agreed this would not be part of a settlement as I had a house wheni met him , and he was broke , he worked hard and freely admits that I got him to were he is today m d of a large company on a salary in access of 200k a year plus bonuses .he now lives withhis girlfriend and supports her 2children has a bently new house and I recently found out a holiday tme share in mexico .ihave asked fora divorce several times but he says he does nt want one as he cant afford to pay me out but I am worried that his eextravagant life style will end up crippling us eg last week he spent 6k on a long weekend in Scotland at t on the park it may sound like I am bitter but I am not I have worked al my lfe and in the 25years have been with him( 22 married ) we own a property company between us and until last week I have run it , I decided to retire and have now got a agent to run it despite being profitable I have only recently had a wage for doing this .I get £1200 per month and my bills paid , do you think I will be worse off if I divorce him .thank you
Thank you for your question
I shall do my best to assist you but I need some further information first.
How much are all the assets owned by either or both of you worth?
What Pension provision do you have?
Claire
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have not got any private pension .our approx assetts are 2.5 million

What income does he have?
Claire
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I dont know his exact salary now as he is md but when we split he was on 200k plus bonuses , there is also the income from the 4 multi let houses in norwich and 5 single let properties which I estimate to be about 40k per annum

In the event of a divorce the starting point for division of all the assets is 50/50.
Since this would give you ample funds to rehouse yourself it is unlikely that you would get more than 50%
However you would be entitled to Spouse maintenance in addition - of a larger capital lump sum instead as well as a share of his pension.
Whether or not you woudl be better off is difficult to assess - but you would at least have full control of all your financial assets
I hope that this is of help - please ask if you need further details
Claire
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He says he will not give up his extravagant life style so cannot afford togive me a lump sum as he subis keeping his 32 year old girl friend and her 2 children in this event surely he would have to give me more per month other wise I am subsidising them.

If you are divorced and there has been a settlement then he would not have any options on payment
Claire
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

To rate your answer, you can go to your question page, and click one of the five faces below your Expert's answer. Please be sure you are logged in with your username and password or you will not be able to view or rate your answer.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.