Hello there, I have a question about restraining order? My

Customer Question

Hello there,

I have a question about restraining order?
My ex is threatening to get a restraining order against me if I turn up to any public events, I can't always know if she'll be there and whenever I tell her I might be places she threatens to kill herself if I attend. She's really boxing me in so I can't attend any social functions. She's clearly having some sort of breakdown and blaming it entirely on me, I'm extremely worried she might injure herself but I don't want to be boxed into my house. Is there anyone that could intervene? Perhaps offer her help? Or anything that might help?

Do you think she has the right to a restraining order in this case?

Thank you for your question . My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

Why does she think she will get a restraining order?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm not completely sure, She just keeps saying that if I turn up to these places she'll get one. We had some awful arguements after we broke up as I discovered that she'd been unfaithful (although she denies it) and got pregnant which is a fact, my response to this was extremely bad and I called her some names. Since then she's blamed me entirely for her drinking and self harm and I'm worried that she'll get a restraining order by showing the angry texts I sent.

As I don;t know anything about it I don't know what you have to have done to have one against you. She seems to be under the impression that she can obtain one by requesting one?

I'm extremely confused by all of this and just need information about what I can and can't do? Can I still attend things she is at or will she be able to get one if I do? I've never been violent, I have said some awful things but it wasn't one sided and that was only in the heat of the moment, I have since them apologiesed.

Has she ever called the police about your arguments?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, the police has never been involved. She got herself taken to a and e after taking 7 parecetomol exclaiming that she's trying to kill herself because I said that I wished I'd never met her, but that's all contact we've had with any authority.

I really don't think you need to worry about this. She isn't going to get a restraining order for no other reason basically than that she would prefer not to see you.

You are perfectly entitled to go anywhere you like whether or not you upset her by meeting her unless, of course, you begin to act unlawfully and that would change things.

If she doesn't want to meet you then she could always stay at home herself.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, Thank you very much. That has settled my mind alot.

No problem.

Please remember to rate my answer.