75100385

I am a former solicitor. I ran my own practice from 1979 to

Customer Question

I am a former solicitor. I ran my own practice from 1979 to 1989 (17 staff). The practice enjoyed a good reputation as did I, the principal. In 1988 I was coerced by criminal clients to sign an undertaking be means of which they secured a bridging loan on false/fraudulent grounds. My physical safety and worse, that of my children, was used to threaten me. They were genuinely the worst kind of people. By signing the undertaking, responsibility for repaying the loans/s fell upon me and left me open to further similar abuse by the same group. I could not reconcile to the position I had been forced into and after a while decided to volunteer my circumstances via a solicitor friend, to the police, the banks and the Law Society. I kept a lid on the blackmail factor, for obvious reasons, but made it abundantly clear to the police that I was an innocent party in the intrigue. It was obvious I gained nothing personally from the intrigue. Despite this and despite the full help I gave the police with their enquiries, they rewarded me by charging me with "conspiracy to defraud banks." At my trial on my birthday, 9th. January 1990, I noticed one of the criminal gang keeping watch in court. In summing up, the judge stated he could not understand why a solicitor of impeccable reputation should commit professional suicide for no gain, in fact leaving himself exposed to repay moneys owing to the banks. Appalled at what I had become embroiled in, I had already voluntarily and irrationally, sold my home, my office building and a house of bed-sits producing a healthy income and handed the whole equity (almost £100K in 19189) to the banks involved, when I was covered by Prof. Indemnity Ins anyway. Despite all, I was sentenced to 18 months imprisonment (served 6 months). BUT the sentence has proved a life-sentence, because it has disallowed very many job applications and twice caused me to lose jobs once discovered; the most recent being today. I have had enough - the unjust sentence, now 23 years ago - has seen me lose my profession, all my capital, my reputation, my wife of 30 years standing and my social life. IS THERE A WAY OF REMOVING THE REGISTRATION OF MY PRISON RECORD PLEASE, TO ALLOW ME THE NORMAL LIFE I DESERVE?

AlexWatts2013 :

Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. For now please let me know did you ever appeal?

JACUSTOMER-1fj79pjq- :

No - any appeal would have required revealing the blackmail, which I feared might have precipitated the threatened retributive steps.

AlexWatts2013 :

It is bad news I am afraid and will not be the answer you want and certainly not the answer I want to give you. Is there any way of removing the registration of prison from your record - the answer is no. You can only do this if the conviction has been quashed or successfully appealed. There is no other way you can do this I am afraid as the record as it stands is accurate in terns of sentence. Only when changed by a Court can that record be amended. I am so very sorry and realise that this is not the news you want to hear.

AlexWatts2013 :

If this fully resolves your question then please take a moment before you leave and rate my service, it only takes a second and is an important part of the process. Otherwise if you need more information or help then please click reply. Alex

JACUSTOMER-1fj79pjq- :

Thanks for your efforts. My enquiry was based more on hope than expectation. I recognise there's nothing that can be done.

AlexWatts2013 :

I am sorry and I understand your frustration. Please do try to rate my service positive before you leave. Alex