How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Clare Your Own Question

Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34023
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Dear Sir or Madam My daughters partner (they are not married)

Customer Question

Dear Sir or Madam

My daughters partner (they are not married) has left her with their two children aged 2 and 4, three weeks ago (they are both the biological parents and the children have his surname). The mortgage for the house they live in is in the name of the partner and his father; although my daughter works and buys everything for the home (Food, clothes and furnishing). The Father provided approximately £70,00 towards the deposit and is also saying that any equity in the house belongs to him)
The father sent an email to me five days ago saying that my daughter and children need to move out and find somewhere to live as he intends to sell the house, he also advised that she should find a new area to live as soon as possible to avoid starting in the new school opposite the house and having to change shortly after when she does move out.

Yesterday he entered the house and asked her brother to leave the property (he was visiting his sister) and locked the door from the inside whilst my daughter was at work, and when she came home she could not get her key in the lock and he wouldn't answer the door. She called the Police and they apprehended him as he left by the back door and stopped him from driving off. They warned him that my daughter has some rights to stay in the property with the children but that he should notify her be letter that he intends to sell the property. Could you advise what she should or shouldn't do next please?
Kind Regards
Jim Brannan
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.
Do you have a specific question?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the question is

1.What are my rights to stay in the house with the children?

2. Should I take out a restraining order to stop my ex partners father from entering the house and locking me out again?

3. Do I have any financial interest if the house is sold ?

Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.

Was the house bought as a family home for the couple and the children? Can your daughter and afford to live in it on her own? Has there been any allegation of violence? You refer to your financial interest and you taking out a restraining order and you staying in the house, but I thought this was your daughter. So, is it you or your daughter that I am advising? The reason I mention that is that you only have rights as a guest. Your daughter’s situation is different. You may or may not have rights for child contact as a grandparent but you have not said whether that is an issue or not. I assume not because your daughter is able to let you see your grandchildren whenever you like

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1. The house was bought as a family home for the couple and the children (nobody else lives in the property now but my daughter and the children). My daughter could afford the mortgage on her own but it is not in her name.

2. The partner who has left is claiming my daughter has hit him on occasions


3. I am asking these questions on behalf of my daughter and if she has any financial interest - not me.


4. Grand parent contact is not an issue for me as we look after them whilst she goes to work.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.
Thank you.
I thought so but needed to check.
Has she hit him?
Has he hit her?
Have police been involved?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He alleges that she hit him, but no complaints were made to anybody, either then or now.

The police were involved yesterday when his father (who claims he owns the house) locked my daughter out of the house. She called the police and they warned him my daughter has rights to live in the house as I stated earlier. There is a reference number for this incident. My daughter is now back in the house and he left to go home after being warned by the police.

Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
How much is the house actually worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage.
How long ago was the property purchased and what agreements (if any) were discussed at the time with regard to ownership and occupation

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice

Related Law Questions