How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Nicola-mod Your Own Question

Nicola-mod, Moderator
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 20
Experience:  Moderator
Type Your Law Question Here...
Nicola-mod is online now

my sons school contract states i must give a full terms notice.

Customer Question

my sons school contract states i must give a full terms notice. in may i gave notice that he would not be returning in Sept (over 3 months), however it was not a full term.

it seems unreasonable to charge this full term charge, even though my son has left the school

can i win this case, or is the a past case where its been upheld?

Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question . My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

Have they filled his space, do you know?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


ive been unable to confirm that, however last year they had places so unfortunately i think there is still space in the school


i'm thinking of taking this to court - its about £3k fee - which given the notice they have had (22nd May) seems unreasonable


i was looking for past cases but cant find any and though you might be able to refer me to some past cases or let ,me know if I has no chance with this?



Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you.

If your contract says that you should give a term's notice and you have not then unfortunately you are in breach of contract.

They are under a duty to mitigate their loss by trying to find a repalcement and with private schools usually that is possible. If they have filled his place then they are made whole and so the case against you collapses. If they have not been able to do so then you could ask them to prove that they've made reasonable efforts which might cause them discomfort. If its just that this school isn't very popular though and they just don't have enough pupils then that would fail if they choose to contest the matter.

The only other alternative is to try to rely on UCTA to argue this is an unfair term although it would be irresponsible of me to suggest that there is a strong chance of success on that particular challenge.

You could always offer a lesser sum in full and final settlement. They may well accept that.

I'm very sorry but thats your position.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.



do you have access to case law? i'd really appreciate it if you can make me aware of any case where parent has been in same situation and the court upheld on schools side


i dont have access and would give me an edge making my case?



Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
There aren't any cases on the point. Its a question of contract rather than case law.

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

To rate your answer, you can go to your question page, and click one of the five faces below your Expert's answer. Please be sure you are logged in with your username and password or you will not be able to view or rate your answer.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.

Thank you,

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice

Related Law Questions