12826847

My elderly mother died recently and debt collectors were constantly

Customer Question

My elderly mother died recently and debt collectors were constantly telephoning her to try and locate her son (who owes 1,000's to debt collectors). He used her address as his address (although he's not lived at that address for 40+ years). I don't know who the debtors are (as they have given up writing as the debts are from the 1980's - although he has recently taken out 2 loans - with mums address given - we have the paperwork for those and have forwarded his current address on to them) but as I now have a current address for him I am wondering how can I pass this on so that if there are debts still outstanding the correct debtor can be passed his current address?
HI.

Thank you for your question . My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

Have you tried calling them? What happens?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

We dont have anyone to call - we don't know who the debtors are - no paperwork available - when mum was alive she just put the phone down - we tried to get her to give them our details so we (my sister and I) could speak to them - but as she was frail and old - she never managed it.

So we dont know who the debtors are - thats why I am asking if there is some 'body' that his name and address can be given to and whoever 'owns' his debts can then contact him at his current address

I see your problem.

The short answer is that its bad news. There is no centralised data base that will allow you to make this registration.

The only way it can be achieve is to wait until they write to him at that address, intercept the post and send it back with the new address. You are allowed to return post in those circumstances without committing an offence.

In any event though, if these are loans from the 1980s then they are time barred under the Limitation Act 1980 so nothing will ever come of them unless he has recently acknowledged them which sounds unlikely.