Nicola-mod, Moderator
Experience:  Moderator

I am a pensioner and obtaining quotations to redecorate the

Customer Question

I am a pensioner and obtaining quotations to redecorate the exterior of my house,
can I be held responsible for ensuring the contractor complies with the health
and safety while carrying out the work
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

My name is Alex and I'm happy to help with your question today.

Is there something specifically that you're concerned about?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have had five quotations which very in amount, if it requires

scaffolding or not, some have said if the contract doesnt compliy

with the regulation, which I not know about. I could be held responsible

for any problems.

Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.

I think you're asking me whether you could be held personally liable for the negligence of your builder if things go wrong.

In short, you can only be held responsible for the builders if you are personally involved in their acts, omissions or wrongdoing.

If you employ a builder to do some work then he assumes responsibility if things go wrong. He is liable for his own mistakes not you.

There is plenty of case law on the topic which state that acts of third parties are not the responsibility of a defendant unless there is a common law duty (e.g. police, firemen) to prevent the third party from causing injury or other harm.

You should, of course, check to ensure your builder has adequate liability insurance in place in case things go wrong.

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

To rate your answer, you can go to your question page, and click one of the five faces below your Expert's answer. Please be sure you are logged in with your username and password or you will not be able to view or rate your answer.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.