Nicola-mod, Moderator
Experience:  Moderator

Are my tenents legally bound to forward my mail onto my letting

Customer Question

Are my tenents legally bound to forward my mail onto my letting agent.

AlexWatts2013 : Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. For now please let me know why you have mail going to a rented property?
JACUSTOMER-zsj804c8- :

the is my own and i have been letting it through an agent.My tenants have been renting for 2+ year.My mail had been redirected for the first year.A bill for ground rent had been sent to the property unbeknown to me.I have now had correspondence from the ground rent people suggesting because i hadnt paid my yearly bill which was £125.00.There have been subsequent letters sent to the address ie from solicitors and then the county court.i was informed by mail from my mortgage company as solicitors instructed by the ground rent people had informed them.Since then this has escalated to a bill of £980.00 through legal and court costs.Do i have any redres with my tenants due to the fact that they have diposed of these official letters and not informed the letting agents or me as they have my contact details.

AlexWatts2013 : May I ask why did you did not redirect it for longer? Did you not give the managing agents your letting agents address?
JACUSTOMER-zsj804c8- : The managing agents did have my address.
AlexWatts2013 : Have they sent bills to the agent before or has it always been the property?
JACUSTOMER-zsj804c8- :

No. As my bills have been redirected the first year of my tenants let i didnt asume i would have any further mail sent there.However as mail has been delivered there my question is should the tenants have called my letting agent to inform them that they had recieved mail for me.

AlexWatts2013 :

Is there anything in the letting agreement that states they need to inform the agency or do anything with the post please?

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an information request here from the Expert. This means they need to know more details before they will be able to give you a full answer.