Nicola-mod
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Experience:  Moderator
73944119

Hi, I brought a second hand tractor from a main tractor dealership

Customer Question

Hi, I brought a second hand tractor from a main tractor dealership 2 years ago pretty much to the month. The machine had 1600 hrs on the clock and was sold with 3 months warranty. During the warranty period the machine had a major breakdown costing £9500 which the warranty obviously covered. The machine was out of action through out the whole of harvest and I was left struggling due to the dealership not having another machine in stock that I could use while mine was being fixed.
Once the warranty period finish the machine had several other things that went wrong which I have paid for to be repaired costing me several hundreds of pounds. Last autumn the machine went wrong again with another major breakdown in the back end leaving me to pay £5500 to repair it, then, during the spring of this year the machine broke down again, this time I had no brakes and was told that the machine needed all new seals in the back end and a brake booster valve- this cost me £2000. Last week the machine yet again broke down and I was told the machine needed new rear brakes which has just cost me £3000. All the work has been carried out by the same dealership that I brought the tractor from 2 years ago. The machine cost me £32500 and with adding up all the monies paid for breakdowns including those that happened during the warrenty period I have spent well over £25000 on repairs. Not only that, every time the machine breaks down its always a problem in the back end, and the dealership never has a machine that I can use to keep me working. Do I have any rights to give the machine back to the dealership and demand a full refund for all the breakdowns and the money I originally paid for for the tractor?? I also have several other breakdowns/issues that I have had with the machine since buying it but it would be to long to list on here!

AlexWatts2013 :

Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. For now please let me know how did you pay for the Tractor?

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an information request here from the Expert. This means they need to know more details before they will be able to give you a full answer.