Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm

I signed a 60month contract with a card payment company. In

Customer Question

I signed a 60month contract with a card payment company. In the contract i was required to provide a 12 month notice to end the contract. But this was to be done 12months before the contract was to be renewed. However I forgot this and now the contract is to be rolled over for 24 months. But the company did not provide me with a renewal notice, are they required by law to provide this notice, is there any way to getting them to agree to a 12 month termination from now?
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

My name is Alex and I'm happy to help with your question today.

Is there anything in the T&C's to say that they have to send you a reminder notice?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No there is not. Thats why I was wondering if there is something in the law that states that companies have to provide a reminder.

Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
OK. What kind of payment was this? I'll have to see if its a regulated agreement.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Basicly its a contract with a card payment comapny called Merchant rentals ltd. The payment is for a rental of their equipment made to them in a monthly basis via direct debit.

Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.

This does not appear to be a regulated contract and as such you are, unfortunately, tied in by the terms and conditions that you agreed when you signed the contract.

This is, of course, a legally binding agreement and if you wish to cancel there will probably be a penalty to pay. Sadly, you cannot blame the company for your forgetfulness.

I'm sorry to be so blunt but there is no easy way round this problem. Either you stick with them for another 2 years or withdraw now and pay a penalty. I hope you understand that I have to give and honest and objective opinion.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. I thought that would be the case but I thought i would get a professional opinion.

Thanks once again

Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
No problem. All the best.