Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

I have sent several messages via text and voicemail to my ex

Customer Question

I have sent several messages via text and voicemail to my ex partner - we split up 7 weeks ago and i have been trying to get to the truth of what has gone one. I have finally found out he has someone else and have sent far too many messages. However none of them were threatening. They were asking him to call and discuss it, saying he should have been honest, asking him for money he owed me etc. He has now asked the police to speak to me saying it is harrassment. Is that the case?
Expert:  Alice H replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

My name is Alex and I'm happy to help with your question today.

How many texts did you send, roughly what times of the day and did he respond to any?

Have you ever been in trouble with the police?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi, I probably sent 8 texts and maybe 8 voice messages over the course of Friday and Saturday throughout the day. Nothing at night. He has also shown them texts from previous weeks making out we have had no contact but has now admitted that we met a week ago and he told me he loved me and hugged and kissed me, so not one sided. He also admits offering to take me to the airport last week. He also come to my place of work on Friday and shouted at me and swore at me for accusing him of having someone else.

Expert:  Alice H replied 4 years ago.

This doesn't sound like harassment to me.

Worst case scenario: the police may issue you a harassment warning telling you to stop contacting him.

Any further action is unlikely.

The law says that if you carry out a course of conduct, on more than two occasions, which causes the other person harassment then you can be liable for civil and criminal penalties.

Stalking is an example. So are unwanted calls and messages.

It must be really frustrating for you, but to avoid the situation escalating its probably best to leave things as they are.

If the police do contact you then you explain the mutual contact between you. They may decide to give you some advice rather than a harassment warning.