12826847

i SOLD A CAR FOR 27500 i WAS PAID 19500 AND AGREED TO KEEP

Customer Question

i SOLD A CAR FOR 27500 i WAS PAID 19500 AND AGREED TO KEEP ALL THE PAPER WORK INCLUDING LOG BOOK UNTIL i WAS PAID BY CHEQUE ITS NOW BEEN 10 MONTHS AND HE HAS NOW APPLIED FOR A LOG BOOK HE REFUSES TO TAKE MY CALLS AND THE CAR IS STILL IN MY NAME THERE WAS CONTRACT OR ANYTHING WRITTEN AS I KNEW THE PERSON AND EXPECTED PAYING HE HAD ALWAYS BEEN VERY HONEST IN THE PAST
HI.

Thank you for your question . My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

In order to give you an answer tailored to your circumstances, I will just need to ask you some preliminary questions so that I can consider your position from all angles.

What would you like to know about this?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sure what do you need to know?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Could I report the car stolen? and what would be the best course of action to take to get my money?

How much does he owe?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

THe car was sold for £27500 he paid only £19500 so £8000 pounds is owed

Do you have his address? Dont give it to me but do you know it?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes but the car is not there he appears to have sold it on or hidden it!

You need to sue him for the money. You wouldn't be able to reclaim the car without a court order anyway which would be more expensive than the cost of suing for the money which you would probably prefer.

You can issue here

www.moneyclaim.gov.uk

If the facts that you mention above are correct then you will win.

The sum of the small claims court has been increased to £10k to reflect inflation so it will be cheap and quick to issue.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Would the fact I am the registered keeper and have all the paperwork not in the eyes of the law say I am the owner as he dishonestly left without paying? Just to clarify this as a backup would be perfect, although the small claims seems the better route to go down

No. Being the registered keeper does not mean you are the owner. Lots of people are the registered keeper of vehicles but not the owner - e.g lease vehicles.

I wouldn't even think about reclaiming the car. Apart from anything else its probably in negative equity