Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

I order toners on behalf of my employer for the consumption

Customer Question

I order toners on behalf of my employer for the consumption of my employer. With these orders occasionally come free goods in a separate package addressed to myself marked private and confidential. If I keep these is it theft from my employer?
Expert:  Alice H replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

My name is Alex and I'm happy to help with your question today.

Why do free goods come in your name? What exactly are they?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The woman at the place we get the toners from offered to do this so that they went to me personally, I had been dealing with her for the last four years and the gifts ranged from a box of chocolates, to a bottle of champagne, to a tablet and camera worth about 50 pounds each.

Does this make it a lot more serious?

I didn't have to order anything to receive the camera, just sent some toners back as they were no longer of use and received others in exchange.

Expert:  Alice H replied 4 years ago.
Hi Alison

Strictly speaking the 'freebies' belong to your employer as your employer paid for the original service.
But I doubt if you are guilty of theft as you don't appear to have been dishonest in your actions; it would be a good idea to speak to your employer to clarify who should receive these gifts.

Happy to discuss further.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Should I do this before the disciplinary meeting? His argument may be that I over ordered stock in order to obtain the 'freebies'. I don't believe I did, but how do I explain that?

Thanks for your help.

Expert:  Alice H replied 4 years ago.
What is the disciplinary hearing about?