Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

Dear Sirs, We have a 3 acre field behind our house that we

Customer Question

Dear Sirs,
We have a 3 acre field behind our house that we had always been lead to believe was owned by a neighbour. He recently confided that it is not registered and that it was his late father's (no defunct) business that used to manage it and he has just "carried on".

I have looked into the registration and he is correct the is no owner registered.

We have a copy from the local historical record office that states it was part of the property we now own, in 1769, when it was given to the church with the land, to be used for the poor as a school.

Where else could I find more information?

Any advice would be appreciated
Kind Regards
Simon Paxton
Expert:  Joshua replied 3 years ago.

Josh-2010 :

Thanks for your question. Please kindly RATE my answer when you are satisfied

Josh-2010 :

What are your intentions and aims with regards to the land please?

JACUSTOMER-afng6y3v- : Hi, nothing it is green belt and used as a horse field. It would remain as that. It requires fences to be put up and general maintaiance.
Josh-2010 :

Thanks. Where land is unregsitered there is by definition no central database or record that holds information about the land. Rather with unregistered land it is a question of detective work which will often not lead anywhere because either records have been lost

Josh-2010 :

You can carry out a land charges search if you have names of any individuals that sold or acquired the land can can potentially produce some useful information but this requires you to have names of individuals relating to the land to do so.

Josh-2010 :

You can carry out a land charges search using the following form:

Josh-2010 :

www.landregistry.gov.uk/_media/downloads/forms/K15.pdf‎

Josh-2010 :

You can contact your local records office which may have information regarding the land. Sometimes title deeds or copies of title deeds or failing which information about the history of land can be deposited with them.

Josh-2010 :

You can find your local records office here:

Josh-2010 :

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/archon/

Josh-2010 :

Finally the local authority may have some information regarding the land. You can make an appointment with the land charges department to find out what records the council hold.

Josh-2010 :

None of the above approaches guarantee any degree of success and it is often not possible to ascertain the owner of unregistered land. Where this is the case one can occupy the land. If one can occupy land for 12 years of more then you can make a claim for adverse possession of the land. Maintenance of boundary structures is a key component of a claim for adverse possession.

Josh-2010 :

Is there anything above I can clarify for you?

Josh-2010 :

If you have no further questions for now I should be very grateful if you would kindly take a moment to rate my service to you today. Your feedback is important to me. If there is anything else I can help with though please reply back to me though.