12826847

We are a small business which rented a property ( sub lease

Customer Question

We are a small business which rented a property ( sub lease ) from a landlord who obtained the consent of the building owners via a counterpart Lease . We have been informed our immediate landlord has absconded with the deposit ( 6 months ) and with the rent we have paid ( we pay 3 months in advance). We were not notified of this offically by anyone other than the Agent repsrenting the builing owner popping hsi head through the door and telling us , and would have expected them to tell us asap as what was going on. The building owners now want us to do redo a contract with them but at a higher value and also deposit another 6 months . We though we were protected as the MEMORANDUM of PROPOSED SUB LETTING stated that the monies be held in an escrow account. Can the building owners force us out or palce these condictions on us and can we not get our monies back from someone in this as no one is taking any responsibility here .
Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I am Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects.
Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that case

It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me while I gather some further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully.
Do you have a properly drafted lease or is it simply a licence? How many years is it for?
How much is the rent? Is there any break clause in the lease?: How long have you been in the property and when is the break clause applicable?
What provisions are there in your existing lease for rent review?
Please bear with me today because I will be online and off-line.