UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
66967392

We are both British citizens, and have adopted a young boy

Customer Question

We are both British citizens, and have adopted a young boy in Sierra Leone. The adoption process has gone through and we now have the adoption documents signed by a High Court Judge in Sierra Leone. How do we go about applying for a visa to bring him over
Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 3 years ago.
Hi thank you for your question. Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE so I can get credited for my time.

Could you please confirm if the adoption was made under the Hague Convention?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes it was

Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your reply.

Could you please confirm if it was a 'full order' or an 'interim order' adoption order?

Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 3 years ago.
The reason for my question was because of the following differences:

An interim order
Some Hague Convention countries will issue an interim adoption order to allow the child to live with the adopting parents. This can be converted to a full order at a later date, normally six or twelve months after the interim order, but this period can differ depending on the State in which they are adopting. An interim adoption order is not valid under UK law.

If an interim adoption order from a Hague Convention country has been issued, and all the other requirements of the Immigration Rules relating to adoption can be met, the immigration officer must grant entry clearance to the child.

If the parents intend to adopt a child, who is the subject of the interim adoption order in another country, through the courts in the UK, the immigration officer must consider the case under paragraphs 316D-F of the Immigration Rules relating to ‘for adoption’.

Leave is granted for a period not exceeding 24 months to allow for completion of adoption.

If the parents are waiting for the interim adoption order to be made final in the Hague Convention country, immigration officer can consider the case exceptionally outside the rules.

There are two types of Hague Convention adoption and it is important to note that even though a country has agreed to the convention it does not mean all adoptions in that country will be under the terms of the convention.

If a child is coming to the UK to be adopted under the Hague Convention, they must:

• be joining one or two prospective parents who are both habitually resident in the UK and who are the sole occupiers of accommodation where they can support and house the child without help from public funds
• be the subject of an agreement made under the Hague Convention
• have been entrusted to the prospective parents by the authorities of the country from which they are coming, and
• be under the age of 18.

The child will apply using the following form VAF4A:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/partners-families/citizens-settled/spouse-cp/apply-outside-uk/

A full order

An adoption order made abroad and certified as valid by the relevant foreign authority under Article 23 of the Hague Convention is recognised under UK law. For example, adopters will be recognised as the parent(s) of the child without needing to obtain an adoption order in a UK court.

If the adopter or, in the case of a joint adoption, one of the adopters is a British citizen and they are both habitually resident in the UK (or a territory designated for the purposes of the British Nationality Act 1981), the child will automatically acquire British citizenship on the date the Convention adoption takes effect.

Under Section 1(5) of the British Nationality Act, 1981, a child who has been adopted through the courts in the UK automatically acquires British citizenship on the date the order was made if:

• the adoptive parent is a British citizen, or
• in the case of a couple, one or both parents are British citizens.

If a child is adopted under a Hague Convention adoption under the law of a country or territory outside the UK, this child will be a British citizen from the date of the adoption if:

• the adopter or, in the case of a joint adoption, both adopters are habitually resident in the UK or a designated territory.

In becoming a British citizen the child acquires a right of abode in the UK. British parents can apply to register their children as British citizens, this would normally apply where the British parents are living overseas and go through a local adoption process in a designated country.

You can apply for a passport by obtaining a form from the Passport Office.

If you want to travel abroad before you have received a British passport, you must take the letter and a copy of the adoption order as evidence the child is a British citizen for your return to the UK.

Please see following link regarding which form to use if the child is outside of the UK on the assumption the child is under the age of 15:

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports/y/sierra-leone/applying/child

The place where to send your application is detailed at the following link:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/newsfragments/66-nat-add

I hope this answers your question if so kindly rate my answer positively so I can get credited for my time. If however you feel that the answer does not cover all the points raised in your question please DO NOT rate my answer negatively I will be happy to answer further question until you are satisfied with my answer.

Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 3 years ago.
Is there anything else I can assist you with?

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

To rate your answer, you can go to your question page, and click one of the five faces below your Expert's answer. Please be sure you are logged in with your username and password or you will not be able to view or rate your answer.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.

Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 3 years ago.
Kindly rate my answer positively so I can get credited for my time.