13262538

Im married for 5 years and my wife who bought the house through

Customer Question

I'm married for 5 years and my wife who bought the house through a part owed scheme and wont put me on the mortgage or deeds. I have asked her why but all she says is that it will cost money.I put money into the house i.e bills etc. All I want to know is what my rights are cause I feel like a lodger and not having a say in the running of the house. My wife knows all this as I have told her. She has 2 teenage kids 14 & 16 and even they says its not my house so stop interferring and keep your nose out. We are going through a bad patch at the minute with the 16 year old girl. She can call me and treat me like dirt but I am not allowed to say anything back because my wife won't back me up even though she calls her mother names and hits her. I have supported my wife with the problems she had with her 14 year old son who has wrecked his bedroom and smashed things in the house, By support i mean been on meetings with his school and with child psycholigists to see how we can help him and i have even been in contact with his dad about this. All the kids are to my wife is money, (child bebefit, Family tax, Csa etc) Please can help me with this problem cause i could end up homelesss if my wife decides to throw me out.
Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I am Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects.
Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that case

It is my pleasure to assist you with this today. Please bear with me while I gather some further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully.
Please bear with me today because I will be online and off-line.
Is her only reason for not putting you on the deeds because of the cost? Is there still a mortgage on it? Has she given any indication of how much it would cost to put you on the deeds?
Thank you for your question
I shall do my best to assist you
The fact that you are married means that you have an absolute right to live in the Matrimonial Home unless there is a Court order (usually as a result of violence) excluding you.
In addition you have a clear financial claim on the property despite your name not being on the deeds although I am afraid that it is unlikely that you could force a sale before the youngest child is 18.
I am afraid that the issues within the household will need to be discussed with your wife using Family Counselling - but not being on the title deeds i snot relevant to your claim
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Claire