Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street Practice
11292137

Is a will still valid if the Testatrix and beneficiary have

Is a will still valid if the Testatrix and beneficiary have changed their address?
Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.

Law Denning :

Hello, I am Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor in a High
Street practice. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008.
During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousand's of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects.
Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in
minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that case.

It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me while I gather some further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully.

Law Denning :

What is the value of the estate?

Customer:

£20,000

Customer:

Sorry it is nearer £35,000

Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.
Provided the identity of the testator/rix and beneficiary is not in dispute and nothing else is in dispute, and simply changing the address of each if for example they have moved or the address is not quite correct, does not invalidate the will.
In a beneficiary has been left, for example “my house”, it is the house that the person lives in at the time they write the will.
If the person has been left “my house at number three high Street” it is the house at number three high Street.
In order for the beneficiary to get the house, the will must be worded “the house I live in at the date of my death”.
The same applies if anyone is left, for example, a car.
Does that answer the question? Can I help further? Can I answer any specific points?
Please don't forget to positively rate my answer service even if it was not what you wanted to hear. You should now see a series of buttons which enable you to rate my answer service formally.
If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0 for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive rating.
It doesn’t give me, “a pat on the head”, “good boy” (like ebay), it is my livelihood!
If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little, please ask.
The thread does remain open for me to answer follow-up questions after rating my answer service.