12826847

I was assualted yesterday in an un-provoked attack by someone

I was assualted yesterday in an un-provoked attack by someone I know who came looking for me specifically so he could assualt me due toa disagreement over a golgf game a few months ago (believe it or not !!). I was left with severe facial injuries requiring hospital attention where i was taken by ambulance. The assualt happed in a working mens type of club front of 20 witnesses and was covered by CCTV. The person who assaulted me has called the police today (thay had been looking for him all night) and admitted the assault, and that it was un-provoked attack. Due to the fact that this thug does not have a criminal record for assault I have been told that they will visit him at home he will be cautioned and as far as they are concerned that is the end of the matter !! What can i do ? my face is a mess, I am off work, he has admitted the assault and that it was unproked attack on me, plus there are an army of witnesses, CCTV and the scenes of crime officer has taken around 25 photos of my injuries. This seems so unfair what can i do ?
HI.

Thank you for your question . My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Are you hoping to stop him being cautioned?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The police have given me choice of him getting a caution or a community restoration (something like that) meaning he will appologise to me. For the vicious beating i got i want him prosecuted and want to claim for my personal injury , taxi, time off work etc

shawn

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

FOR JOMO1972

I'm really sorry but there is no way of forcing them to prosecute. The decision of whether or not to prosecute is now for the police alone. They don't even need CPS advice.

Ultimately whether or not an offence is suitable for a caution is for Parliament. A common assault from a person with no previous convictions who admits the offence is suitable. They don't need you to agree.

You can sue in the civil courts for assault for your actual losses but for common assault it is generally just a low amount for pain and suffering plus any actual financial losses.

You can complain to officers but it will not deter them I'm afraid. A complaint does not decide on sentence in the uk.

I'm very sorry as this is probably bad news.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

FOR JOMO1972

If I sue in the civil courts what can I sue for recompense for my injuries ? and if so what sort of amount would be the norm, also time off work,taxis etc. If I do sue will i get awarded my legal costs ? seeing as he has admitted the offence, and how long does this procedure take

shawn

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

FOR JOMO1972

If I was to sue would the police provide me with the scenes of crime photos they took, plus the full address details of the person who assaultedme if i ask or will i be completely on my own ?

shawn

Obviously I haven't seen the injuries but if its an offence suitable for a caution then probably you are not going to get a high sum.

The police are not likely to have done anything other than taken statements. Its not a SOCO type case. They are not likely to provide that and a court will not order disclosure unless he starts denying it.

They probably won't give you his details but the golf club might. You might need to get a court order of disclosure to get around the data protection act.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

FOR JOMO1972

both my eyes are badly bruised, one eye is nearly fully closed, i have extensive bleeding in one eye which has left it completely blood shot, both sides of my face are brusied and puffed up as is the back of my head behind my ear, the blood vessels are burst in my eyelids leaving them bloodshot. Scenes of crime came around this morning already and took around 25 photos of my injuries

shawn

You probably would need to get a court order for disclosure of the photographs but they would do so then.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

FOR JOMO1972

Would I be able to claim my legal costs and if so is this the type of no win no fee case that solicitors take on ? If I did have to pay what sort of costs do you think I would incurr to get him into court (and will I get them back and how)

shawn

No, its not suitable for no win no fee. The damages are too low for a solicitor to claim costs.

However, its a small claims court claim so the costs won't be onerous. You will be able to claim fixed costs back.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If i take him to the small claims court how easy and expensive is it to get a disclosure order in advance to get all the SOCO photos and witness statements.

Can i get personal injury compensation from a small claims court ? as well as time off work expenses etc

Shawn

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

FOR JOMO1972

have just checked and and guess small claims court can not be used for personal injury compensation, so back to my earlier question how do I go about claiming for personal injury, time off work and taxi all in one go ? and if i go down this road through the civil court will i need a solicitor will i get my legal costs back (as he has already pleaded guilty to the offence) how to i apply for a disclosure order in advance in orderr to take him to a civil court

shawn

It can up to £1 k which is realistically the maximum if this claim.
Experience: Over 5 years in practice
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

FOR JOMO1972

as he has now accepted the police caution for the offence should i just go to a solicitor and start a civil case, as presumably he will have to plead guilty (having admitted to the police the offence and did not dissagree with all points put to him by the police) and it will just fall to the judge to decide what I will get ? if so I have nothing to lose ?

Shawn

Yes you do have a claim. He cannot deny the offence because he has accepted a caution.

However, your injuries will not attract large sums in compensation.

The good news is that you can sue cheaply at the small claims court, the bad news is that a no win no fee solicitor will not be interested because they cannot claim costs.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

FOR JOMO1972

last questions can i claim for personal injury in the small claims court and if so how do i put a value on my injury do i just put say £1000 in my claim and let the judge decide if thats fair ?

Yes you can claim for personal injury consequent on assault at the small claims court as long as the claim is under £1000. It is for the court to assess your injuries but I'm afraid you have no reasonable claim for more than £100 to maybe £300 if this is just soft tissue injury.