Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

I am a tenant with "agreement for letting of residential premises

I am a tenant with "agreement for letting of residential premises on an assured shorthold tenancy" signed on 2.8.2008. Rent is paid on weekly basis.
Today (9.8.2013) I delivered a leaving notice to my landlord, where I stated I terminate a tenancy in four weeks from today. Landlord didn't accept my notice, saying I can give a notice only on 2nd day of any monh. is that true?
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 3 years ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your enquiry.

On the basis that the fixed period of your Tenancy Agreement has expired, the Tenancy continues until either party serves Notice to terminate the agreement. Any Notice served by you as Tenant has to be served so that the Notice period ends on the 2nd day of the month.

As your Tenancy commenced on the 2nd of the month, if you now wish to end the agreement you do indeed need to give your Landlord Notice on or before the 2nd day of the month to expire the next month. Hence, I'm afraid your Landlord is correct, and you should serve him with another Notice at any time this month notifying your Landlord that you wish to terminate your Tenancy on 2nd October.

I hope this answers your question, and if so, I would be grateful if you could leave positive feedback.

Kind Regards

AL