Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street Practice

I lease a pick up off leaseplan uk about 4 years ago and i

I lease a pick up off leaseplan uk about 4 years ago and i owes them £2200. As there was not a lot work, I agreed to pay the £2200 i owed and hang on to the vehicle. When I was away from home, they came and took the vehicle. I had a hard back top on the truck and a table in the back of the truck which costs £700. As I lost my job because I am going deaf, I am living now on Disability allowance. As I moved to my new address shortly after I lost my job, I have not heard from these people until now through bannerjones solicitors. Demanding that I have to pay £4,641.36 but as they took my hard back top and table I thought that, that was it And I haven't got this money now because I am disability allowance now because I am deaf. Where do I stand?
Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I am Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects.
Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that case. I will be online and off-line all day today.

It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me while I gather some further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully.

Are you asking if you are still liable?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

As my name was on the contract 4 years ago, but what I am saying is they took property belongs to me at the value of £2200 and I have not heard from them for 4 years and now they are trying to say that I owed them £4,641.36

Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.
So you agreed to pay the £2200 but didn’t pay it?
I need to know why they took the vehicle back and why you didn’t pursue them for your goods back at the time
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

They took the vehicle before i could pay the money, i just assumed when they took the vehicle with new £1,500 carryboy and new oak table on the back worth £700 that was the end of the matter. Then years later they start sending letters wanting £4,500, they want me to phone them to make payment but i am profound deaf and can't do that, so i want legal advice to see my options. Can I counter claim for loss of table and carryboy?

Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.
So why didn’t you pay the money to get the vehicle back?
Why didn’t you ask them to return the items bearing in mind they would have a substantial value?
If you are profoundly deaf, why didn’t you just write a letter?
Why has the amount claimed gone from £2200-£4500?
Have you exchanged any correspondence with them either now or in the last four years
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I agreed to pay the money over a period of time so when they took the vehicle i thought (wrongly) that all costs would be scrubbed that is why i never wanted to get my things back.

I am just starting to get correspondence from them after all these years, I have not contacted them yet until i got some legal advice. I do not know why the costs have jumped from £2200 to £4500

Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.
You are entitled to know why the costs have increased.
After four years, it seems unusual they have contacted you again.
If they had left it for six years, they lose the right to pursue you. If you acknowledge the debt, by replying to their correspondence, then the six-year time period starts again so, for now, you might want to initially ignore their correspondence.
The hardtop and contents might have cost you that kind of money, but in a sale, used, they would fetch hundreds of pounds not thousands so the best you could hope for would probably be £500 or so.
Meanwhile, you still owe the money to the vehicle although as I said, you are entitled to know how these costs have escalated.
I’m sorry, I appreciate that this is not the answer you wanted but there is no point in me misleading you. By ignoring this, you have any effect shot yourself in the Fort with regards XXXXX XXXXX your items back although you could ask for the cost to be deducted it is not going to be substantial.
It is up to you whether you decide to ignore the correspondence and see whether it goes away. It is not unknown I might add
Does that answer the question? Can I help further? Can I answer any specific points?
If you have not done already, please don't forget to positively rate my answer service even if it was not what you wanted to hear. You should now see a series of buttons which enable you to rate my answer service formally.

If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0 for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive rating.
It doesn’t give me, “a pat on the head”, “good boy” (like ebay), it is my livelihood!
If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little, please ask.
The thread does remain open for me to answer follow-up questions after rating my answer service.
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience: PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street Practice