Nicola-mod
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Experience:  Moderator
73944119

I HAVE JUST INHERITED £ 20,000 AM I STILL ENTITLED TO CLAIM

Customer Question

I HAVE JUST INHERITED £ 20,000 AM I STILL ENTITLED TO CLAIM AND QUALIFY FOR FULL HOUSING BENEFIT AND INCAPACITY BENEFIT AND DLA,
HI.

Thank you for your question . My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

Have you declared this to the DWP?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Not informed dwp
I'm afraid you will have to declare this to them.

Your DLA will not be affected by this. That is no means tested. There was talk of it being means tested but it hasn't happened yet.

Unfortunately though this sum will take you over the hurdle to claim housing benefit. If you have more than £16k then a housing benefit claim fails.

Thats not to say that you won't be able to claim again but they will expect you to spend the money on living expenses before you can claim benefits unfortunately.

I'm very sorry but thats your position.

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

To rate your answer, you can go to your question page, and click one of the five faces below your Expert's answer. Please be sure you are logged in with your username and password or you will not be able to view or rate your answer.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.