Nicola-mod, Moderator
Experience:  Moderator

I did an open university degree this year which I paid for

Customer Question

I did an open university degree this year which I paid for privately. The last piece of work that I was required to submit was due in June, unfortunately I contracted shingles in the week before it was due and became very ill, and I missed the deadline for submission and only submitted the work two days late. I then contacted the university to explain that I had been ill (and have a doctors note to confirm it), hence the delay, they said I had to submit an 'exceptional circumstances' form to explain and then as part of the marking process they would make a decision. I then got my results a few weeks ago, with the decision that my last paper was 'unmarked' and thus the course is failed. I have invested considerable money in the course and considerable time - If they now fail this last part, I have to repeat 3 months of work and invest considerable more money, all for something that was entirely out of my control due to illness, supported by a doctors note. I do not think this is legal - The university is making me pay more money and invest more time, for something that is not my fault - As a business, I don't think they have a right to do this, but I have no idea what to do about it?

Thank you for your question . My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

In order to give you an answer tailored to your circumstances, I will just need to ask you some preliminary questions so that I can consider your position from all angles.

What does it say in the Terms and Conditions?
I am sorry, that information request should have gone on another post.

I will opt out for others as this isn't my area.
Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.

I have been asked to look at this for you. Have they declined special curcumstances request?

You can always appeal any decision of a University. That is probably the best option at this stage.

However, you need to convince them that shingles amounts to an exceptional circumstance. Ill health, per se, is not sufficient. In fairness, there are many conditions that may stop a person going to work but they do not necessarily prevent them from working on a thesis at home. I don't know whether you are in a position to show that it was impossible for you here or not? It depends what your doctors will confirm.

An additional problem here though will be that you don't seem to have told them until after the deadline which is not the best place to start from I'm afraid.

Its never quite right to say that deadlines are fixed. There is always room for variation for something like a bereavement or an accident that literally leaves a person in a coma etc. Nobody is going to argue with something like that.

You may well be able to reach that standard but thats the test for which you are aiming.

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

To rate your answer, you can go to your question page, and click one of the five faces below your Expert's answer. Please be sure you are logged in with your username and password or you will not be able to view or rate your answer.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.