Nicola-mod
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Experience:  Moderator
73944119

Hi, Theres a new twist to this story. I returned the trash

Customer Question

There's a new twist to this story. I returned the trash to the public bin near my house yesterday and this morning they were returned again to my door step, with a threatening note. I decided to call the police who said they will pay him a visit. When I called the police later in the day to get an update, they told me that the duty officer left a message to say she had attended his residence and had been spoken to and advised. I asked for more details but they said that the duty officer wou
HI.

Thank you for your question . My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My gardener did some gardening last week and all the rubbish, weeds etc was put in my green recycling bin. As a result of this I had nowhere to put my domestic waste, so I put 3 bin bags in a public bin near my house. The following day I found these bin bags outside my door. Someone had carried them from the public bin back to my door step. First and foremost I know that I was not fly tipping as the bin bags were placed inside the public bin and not on the road. Secondly I find it rather strange that someone would take matters into their own hands and return my waste back to my door step. I just need to know what the law says about throwing waste in a public bin.

> There's a new twist to this story. I returned the trash to the public bin near my house yesterday and this morning they were returned again to my door step, with a threatening note. I decided to call the police who said they will pay him a visit. When I called the police later in the day to get an update, they told me that the duty officer left a message to say she had attended his residence and had been spoken to and advised. I asked for more details but they said that the duty officer would give me a call tomorrow. I have not touched the bags he deposited in front of my house as I cannot be sure that they are even the same bags that I put in the public bin, secondly he could have put anything in those bags such as needles, drugs etc ( I just don't know). As far as I am concerned, he came into private property and left waste. My question is, if he has admitted to the police that he indeed left the trash in front of my door, am I within my rights to ask the police to make him remove it? He is saying that it is returned trash, but is it not illegal trespassing property to dispose trash be it returned or not?
Thanks for your question.

I am sorry but I cannot give you bad news.

The police do not have power to force him to remove an item. Leaving rubbish on your property is not a criminal offence anyway. I imagine the basis upon which they acted was the threatening note anyway.

In any event, trespass is not a criminal offence. Its a civil wrong. You could sue for your actual losses but I'm afraid there is no financial loss in having to return some rubbish to him unfortunately.

I'm very sorry but thats your position and I can only give you truthful information.

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

To rate your answer, you can go to your question page, and click one of the five faces below your Expert's answer. Please be sure you are logged in with your username and password or you will not be able to view or rate your answer.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.