Nicola-mod, Moderator
Experience:  Moderator

Can I check on company that has sold me a Monitored Security

Customer Question

Can I check on company that has sold me a Monitored Security System,
Name of company: security hub home zone ltd,XXXXX Dudley, west midlands dy1 1re

Many thanks in anticipation
Expert:  Vincent2013 replied 3 years ago.

Hi, thanks for your question. My name's Vincent and it's my pleasure to assist you with it.

What information would like to check?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

is this a genuine company, and thus genuine products, only they in a hurry to complete sale and installation.

Thanks for the additional information.

According to Companies House, a company with that name is XXXXX XXXXX that address. It's company number is(NNN) NNN-NNNNand it was incorporated on 4th November 2009. It has submitted accounts for its last financial year (ending 30/11/2012) and it is up to date with its annual returns.

It was previously known as Powell Property Investments Limited (according to Companies House it changed it's name to "Security Hub Home Zone Limited" on 2nd August 2011).

The company genuinely exists (but I obviously can't comment on the integrity of its business or products). If you would like to access any details relating to this company such as the identity and registered addresses of its directors and/or articles of association you can order them here:

I hope this answers your question. If so, I would be very grateful if you could rate my answer. Our conversation will not end and you can continue to ask me anything you need to clarify the information above.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How can I determine products are genuine?

There is no way to be 100% certain of legitimacy but checking that the company exists is a good start (particularly where a company has been around for a number of years and is up to date with its filings).

Other things you can do to check the legitimacy of a company are:

Search the company name and its product on a search engine such as Google. See if it shows up on any sites that have reported the business in a negative context. You may also come across some helpful reviews on blogs or consumer sites (although you still treat these with caution).

Check out the company's website. Look for a professional approach and good English. You may also be able to find some testimonials about the services and products. Also look for an "about us" section to see how long they have been trading and who's behind the business.

Look at any written terms and conditions carefully. Depending on the nature of the product, they may well offer a money back period or no quibble guarantee. If they have faith in their product this may help you in garnering some also. Also check out customer services (if they have one) by ringing the contact number. Ask as many questions as you need to get peace of mind.

Finally, trust your instinct. If you can't get comfortable - walk away.

As I say, there's no fullproof way of determining legitimacy and no "legal" answer to this but hopefully this should help.

I hope this answers your questions. If so, please don't forget to rate my answer so that I can obtain credit for my work.

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

To rate your answer, you can go to your question page, and click one of the five faces below your Expert's answer. Please be sure you are logged in with your username and password or you will not be able to view or rate your answer.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.