29905560

Tenant moved out of one of our rental properties and left damages

Customer Question

Tenant moved out of one of our rental properties and left damages and rent arrears, I had to provide a quotation for works required to bnring the property up to pre tenancy state. I typed the estimate on one of our contractors invoices pending the correct invoices by the relevant contractors being available. The case was lodged at court and subsequently dismissed. I had the correct estimates for the work and the correct invoics were paid to the relevant contractors, have I committed a fraudulent act as a result of this. I am advised by the solicitor representing us that the new information relating to the works done would have been lodged at court and as the amounts didin't differ from my original estimate it wouldn't have mattered who carried out the work as long as the amounts were the same. Please advise as my employer is accusing me of committing a fraudulent act and potentially are considering sacking me as a result.
Expert:  Joshua replied 4 years ago.

Joshua :

Thanks for your question. Please kindly RATE my answer when you are satisfied

Joshua :

What has the matter got to do with your employer please? Is this your rental property or your employers property?

JACUSTOMER-t2mt7zfu- : I work as a letting agent and this property is owned by one of our landlords
Joshua :

I see thank you.

Joshua :

Were the invoices made to look from what you say as if they had been provided by a contractor? Did you or the agency have authority by the contractor to produce invoices for them as your agent?

JACUSTOMER-t2mt7zfu- : Yes the invoice was typed by me on the contractors headed paper without his knowledge
Joshua :

Thanks. This could be an issue. Your question is principally employment related. I will ask my colleague who specialises in employment law to assist you. He will be in touch shortly.

Hello, my name is Ben and my colleague has asked me to assist with your query. How long have you worked there for?
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an information request here from the Expert. This means they need to know more details before they will be able to give you a full answer.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have been employed since Nov 97

Has this practice been applied before? For example, have you typed up invoices like that with the contractor knowing you do so and without them objecting to it?