Nicola-mod
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Experience:  Moderator
73944119

Today I am facing an employment disciplinary issue relating

Customer Question

Today I am facing an employment disciplinary issue relating to a cash loss of £95 in my till. my till was left in a till safe on my unit which for the period of my employment with the company (approx 1 year) has been broken. however we are told by our supervisors to leave our till in there as it is a remote unit. as this is standard practice for all cashiers to leave their till in this place when they are on break and has been for the year i have been there, can the company discipline me on the basis of the technicality of the company cash handling procedure that 'the cashier is responsible for the contents of their till which i have signed'
Expert:  Jenny replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer, does your employer always dismiss in these circumstances and could anyone else have been responsible for the shortage?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No it will probably result in a writen warning which i do not want on my record as i am of good character and have done nothing wrong. my till was also put on before i arrived at the premises by the supervisor so that the previous cashier could cash their till. so i dont see why i am the only person being held responsible

Expert:  Jenny replied 4 years ago.
The difficulty you have is that if you were engaged after 6 April 2012 (which I think you were) you do not have full employment rights in the event that you were to be dismissed. You cannot claim unfair dismissal in the UK now until you have been engaged for 2 years. Hopefully your employer will not dismiss you though and if you argue that the sanction is unfair where someone else is not also being disciplined will refrain from putting a warning on your record (as these are certainly valid points), it would just be unfair of me not to make you aware of the risks due to your length of service.

Regardless of your length of service your employer may not discriminate against you on the grounds of your age, race, sex, disability, pregnancy, religion or for raising a health and safety complaint. If you think that any of these reasons explain the difference in treatment between you and the other employee then please let me know and I will advise accordingly.

If you have any follow on questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would give my answer a positive rating. Thank you and all the best.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

To rate your answer, you can go to your question page, and click one of the five faces below your Expert's answer. Please be sure you are logged in with your username and password or you will not be able to view or rate your answer.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.