joannem1965
joannem1965, Advocate
Experience:  I am a solicitor
12804206

The Government has an e-petitions website. I have read the

Customer Question

The Government has an e-petitions website. I have read the FAQs and the terms and conditions and I can not see anywhere, where it states that you have to be over 18 to sign an e-petition.

Can under 18's sign a Government e-petition and if they did, could it invalidate the petition in anyway?

As far as I can see, all you need is a valid email address, and postal address and to be a British citizen

AlexWatts2013 :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return.

AlexWatts2013 :

To create or sign an e-petition, you must be either:

• a British citizen

• a resident in the UK (you normally live in the UK)

AlexWatts2013 :

There is nothing that states you must be over the age of 18 years.

AlexWatts2013 :

Can under 18's sign a Government e-petition and if they did, could it invalidate the petition in anyway? - The answer is yes an under 18 can sign it and even if it was against the rules it would not invalidate the whole petition just that one signature.

AlexWatts2013 :

If this fully answers your question, please take a moment before you leave and rate my service, it only takes a second and is an important part of the process. Otherwise if you need more information or help then please click reply. Alex

JACUSTOMER-1lhhzjl2- :

Continually receiving connection reset by peer message when accessing the site

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
The answer simply sates that it will be dealt with at the earliest opportunity. No information yet, so how can it be rated.
Expert:  joannem1965 replied 4 years ago.
Hi there there's nothing in the official rules for Govt e-petitions that states there's a minimum age to participate so any individual's able to cast their vote