75100385

Good Morning, This message is to ask about my consumer rights.I

Customer Question

Good Morning, This message is to ask about my consumer rights. I bought a sofa-bed online 5 weeks ago. It was delivered in a box which I had to destroy because the box alone took up most of the space in my little sitting room. The item was not expensive at £168 so I knew it wouldn't last long but I needed it to accommodate a relative when my house was full last weekend for my 75th birthday party. An elderly guest sat on the sofa bed at the party and a (flimsy) metal lfront leg of the sofa-bed brokel. The guest was severely shocked but unharmed. I emailed the company to ask if I could have a refund and was told to send a photo of the damage and a description of the circumstances around the breakage, so I did. I was then told that I could have a refund but I would have to "package the item securely" with cardboard not plastic because the courier company would not collect it unpacked. I explained I was physically not able to "package the item securely" and didn't have a car any more to buy such a large amount of cardboard. I looked online and the cost of a customized box in high for me as a pensioner. I was then told in a further email to get a member of my family or friend to do it. My three children live and work abroad; the male neighbour who sometimes kindly helps me with lifting is in New Zealand for 3 months and my own friends are my generation, over 70. I asked the 'customer adviser' to send me the name, address and email of the company's CEO. His reply is below! I am a pensioner on a very small income so contacted the CAB consumer telephone line yesterday but they are inundated with calls. I was told I would receive a call 'early next week' but have decided to turn to you. Kindest regards, XXXXX XXXXX Leger Dear Ms St. Leger, We have offered you a solution to your problem, if you are refusing our help to assist you to get this sorted there is nothing further we can do unfortunately. A refund can be offered but you will need to package the goods, plastic covering will not protect the goods from damage in transit, which may be chargeable to yourself if the goods are not packaged properly. There is no need for us to provide you with our CEO's contact name or our postal address as there is no reason to escalate the matter as a solution has clearly been offered to you. Please provide a collection date once the sofa is ready to be collected, we can then confirm a collection date for you.

AlexWatts2013 :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. For now please let me know how long after delivery did the accident occur? How did you pay for the sofa was it credit or debit card please?

JACUSTOMER-rp1xvt6i- :

Dear Mr Watts.

JACUSTOMER-rp1xvt6i- :

Dear Mr Watts, thank you very much indeed for getting in touch. I already have the answer to my question from a relative who is a solicitor but whom I hadn't initially wanted to trouble with my problem. I needed an answer fast because I am going away on Wednesday. The address of the company was difficult to establish because it is held by a Holding Company but I was able to find out. The company has agreed to collect the item unpackaged in 3 weeks time and I will get a refund. I have already logged my card details to pay you online. I don't know whether the sum has already been taken. If it has, so be it. You have responded. Best wishes for your own work, XXXX St Leger

AlexWatts2013 :

I am glad you have managed to resolve this and hope that I can be of service to you in the future. Alex

41506.5556101389