Max Lowry, Advocate
Experience:  LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
51031577

how do i go bout bankrupsy

Customer Question

how do i go bout bankrupsy
Expert:  Max Lowry replied 3 years ago.

Max Lowry :

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. I will help you with your question.

Max Lowry :

What would you like to know about bankruptcy? Are you thinking of becoming bankrupt yourself or making somebody bankrupt?

JACUSTOMER-qqx4bsrw- :

i want to ecome bancrupt

Max Lowry : Thank you for coming back to me and confirming. To go bankrupt you need to apply to court.You will need to apply to your local county court. Phone them up first to make sure they deal with bankruptcy. Then you need to complete a bankruptcy petition form and a statement of affairs form. You can print off a bankruptcy petition (form 6.27) and statement of affairs (form 6.28) from the Insolvency Service website - see the link - www.bis.gov.uk/insolvencyWhen you fill in the forms you need to give details of all your debts and assets. I would suggest keeping a copy of the completed petition and statement of affairs forms - you may need when you have your interview with the Official Receiver.The affidavit needs to be sworn - you do this at court. It just confirms that you have told the truth. Take the forms to court with two extra copies. You will need to pay the court fee and the deposit.When you swear the affidavit the court may either fix a time for the hearing on a different day or hear your case straight away. The court fee and petition fee is about £700 (check the exact figure with the court). You could get a reduction or not pay anything at all depending on your circumstances (receipt of benefits). Ask the court for form EX160 which tells you more about this.I hope this helps. Please let me know if you wish me to clarify anything.