13262538

If I am claiming Pension credit how is this affected if a working

Customer Question

If I am claiming Pension credit how is this affected if a working person resides with me if they do not make any monetary contribution? Does the number of days per week of occupancy make a difference?
Thank you for your question
I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
What is your relationship with this person?
How often do they stay?
Claire
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She is a friend. She sleeps in a separate bedroom now between 5 and 7 days a week but it was less than this previously.

Without wishing to be intrusive may I ask whether you are male or female?
Claire
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Male

May I ask why she stays so often - does she not have her own home?
Claire
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She owns a house which her estranged husband lives in and a motorhome wich she uses extensively.

She stays in her own house when he is away in and sometimes to help as he is epileptic.

Keith

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She owns a house jointly with her estranged husband. He lives in the house. She also owns a motorhome wich she uses extensively.

She stays in her own house when her husband is away and also smetimes to help him as he is epileptec.

Keith

The risk is that the amount of time that she is spending at your home could lead to the supposition that you are in fact cohabiting and this would indeed affect your Pension Credit.
It could be sensible to try and lo,oy her stays to no more than three nights a week to lessen the risk
I hope that this is or assistance - please ask if you need further details
Claire
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

To rate your answer, you can go to your question page, and click one of the five faces below your Expert's answer. Please be sure you are logged in with your username and password or you will not be able to view or rate your answer.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If they assume cohabiting but no financial contribution is made would this mean a reduction or withdrawal in Pension Credit?

Keith

Yes if they assume that your are cohabiting then it will effect your Pension Credit as it will also be assumed that your partner IS contributing to the household expenditure
Claire
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If it is assumed that a contribution is being made (even if it is not the case) then would my Pension Credit be reduced by the amount of the assumed contribution? How could they decide an amount that does not exist?

They will simple assume that your "partner" has an income and will count that as part of your household income - almost certainly ruling you out of Pension Credit altogether
Claire