12826847

Do you give corporate law advice?

Customer Question

Do you give corporate law advice?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer.

I am a company corporate lawyer. How can I assist you?

AJ

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I had an assistant working with me in my Company that was doing the book keeping. After he left he locked me out of the gmail account he was using for invoicing clients (by changing the password) so I had no access to important data - he was still owed some money. He ran his own account haphazardly and emailed me the amount owed to him. I paid him this in stages over the last few months. He did email a batch of invoices but I can't seem to find them. The new bookkeeper had a lot of trouble following what he did and has cost me a lot of money in time, going back to fix things. Reconciling the bank account and getting client statements up to date without invoice records has proved a nightmare. He did not give us login for Quickbooks as well, but my new Manager sorted it with Quickbooks directly somehow. When the new bookkeeper asked him for copy invoices he stated he would charge us £40 per invoice. He has one invoice he sent separately that I have he says remains to be paid which we have. He had to help with deliveries one night when I was away because the driver left (saying it was because he did not return calls or pay him). I was abroad at the time and he had the bank card. He drew cash with this to pay himself, not having a bank account in England (he resides in Poland. Basically, we were on friendly terms, and he came and went - I did the lions share of managing alone. When it comes to money, or criticising him for his work he has become extremely mean. He will not issue a statement, the driving invoice for two nights work was for £700! Now he is threatening to report me for fraudulent activities such as paying a staff member through a bank account not belonging to that staff member, who in addition gave us the NI nr that belonged to someone else. He too was a courier, on payroll. I relied heavily on him and he was very local, so I turned a blind eye. Now said plaintiff is calling this chap making threats - i.e picking on the weak. I feel very stupid to have trusted someone this dispicable, and have learned some valuable lessons. I have also tried to right as many wrongs as I could since he left, when it probably would have been better to close the company and start again. I was very pushed/stressed and freaked out most of the time, though things are much calmer now and I have a wonderful, very experienced Manager helping me. What do I do about this idiot?

Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

Was he an employee?

If so was he employed in England?

AJ

p.s I check for updates through out the day. Please do not be concerned if you dont hear from me right away I will get back to you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, he was invoicing the company - employees don't do that, do they?

Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

Yes I agree he was not an employee. Did you have a contract of any sorts with him?

What are you seeking to do? Retrieve the information?

AJ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was simply keen to know whether he was in a position to damage the company (regarding the illegally employed staff member), or whether I had a case against him for withholding login info, refusing to co-operate until paid (despite not providing copy invoices for himself) and doing a bad job that cost me money to fix. He was not on a contract, no.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have had problems following this as I could not find this conversation when I logged into the site and have not had access to my email account. I have solved the problem in the mean time - as well as been charged £40 twice for our correspondence so far. I have had no answers - just two questions from you. My only comment now is that I would like my money back. Please arrange.