Nicola-mod, Moderator
Experience:  Moderator

I was falling in love with a married man and going out with

Customer Question

I was falling in love with a married man and going out with him for 6 months, in 6 this 6 months i got some support from him sometimes by he giving me some money without me asking him, i even refused when he wants to give me money, in the main time when we were together i realize that we were going nowhere and nothing get better, so i decided to end up a relationship with him, but then he gets very upset and he wants to get the money whatever he has supported me, but im not able to pay him back as im out of work at the moment and i don't think i owe him any money because i never ask him for money or a loan,, in this case am i wrong if i don't pay back the money and has he right to take me to the court? (every supports from him with no prove always in cash) please give me answer i'm so worry right now.

Thank you for your question . My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

If this was a gift then he cannot reclaim from you.

The only way he can reclaim is if he is going to argue that this was a loan rather than a gift. Obviously it depends on the sums and their denomination but if there are large cash transfers then it tends to get difficult to argue that this was a gift. If there are smaller transfers and regularly made then it looks like a gift rather than a loan.

Whether he will sue or not is another matter.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for answer, it was not a loan it was like a gift not regularly and everytime he gave me i always refused and i have prove in the text message that i didn't want to take it, and its not very big amonth of cash,no prove or anything, and i say is was not a loan because i asked him do i have to pay back but he said "no" he says he loves me wants to take care of me he said i not owe him anything but now i want to stop relationship he ask me to return back the money, im not able to pay it back right now and i don't think i owe him anything, he sounds very angry and he said if i not pay back he will get solicitor and i feel insecure because he keep coming to infront of my apartment watching me and fallowing me sometimes.

It doesn't matter whether you wanted to take it. The only issue is whether you did and whether there was any agreement implicit or explicit that it would be repaid.

He could sue. Sometimes people do. If your defence is that it was a gift then thats what you will have to run.

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

To rate your answer, you can go to your question page, and click one of the five faces below your Expert's answer. Please be sure you are logged in with your username and password or you will not be able to view or rate your answer.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.