Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street Practice

the local C Councillor for this area sends out one or two letters

Customer Question

the local C Councillor for this area sends out one or two letters a day telling me I am in debt wiyh my rent, my dog makes too much noise and mess(he has not been here for 8 weeks) and so the story goes on, just where do I do from here I have told the chief Executives offuces what is gouin on, I think he is a new guy in a new job and is playing Mr Efficiency, except it is all lies
Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I am Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects.
Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that case. I will be online and off-line all day today.

It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me while I gather some further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully.

Do you know why these allegattions have been made?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The grass in the front garden was not cut because it was newly seeded and when we went on holiday it was not long enough to be cut. There was no mess in the garden because as I said the dog stayed with my daughter, it was apparently one of the neighbours who complained but the man in charge XXXXX XXXXXdly has persued it as much as possible, also we were not behind with the rent we should have been paying just over £300 per month and we were paying £412 pounds because that was the figure he asked for. We have been living here just over 2 years

Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.

have you complained in writing to the chief executive? Have you spoken to the idiot who is sending out the letters?

have you written to his supervisor? Have you written to him?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the man in charge(the Idiot)says I am the liar, the police called around last night to make sure I had not topped myself, Ian Handly says that is a lie, but why would I say the police had called here if they had not, I have spoken to the chief executives secretary, she speakes to the idiot then she rings me back, I got my daughter to phone them and they told her I was over £100 in credit in my rent but the idiot does not agree the way it is all going an OD would solve all my problems

Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.
I wouldn't speak to anyone. I would write to the Chief Executive and I would also write at exactly the same time,To the Local Government Ombudsman. I would give them the police incident number of when the police were called.
I would also complain about the fact that he is harassing you, believe it or not, to the police. Even if you do owe any money (and I accept that you do not) this is harassment and you are entitled to protection from harassment under the Protection from Harassment Act and the police can go round and warn this undesirable individual.
S.40 of the Administration of Justice Act 1970 refers:
Punishment for unlawful harassment of debtors.
A person commits an offence if, with the object of coercing another person to pay money claimed from the other as a debt due under a contract he-
harasses the other with demands for payment which, in respect of their frequency, or the manner or occasion of making any such demand, or of any threat or publicity by which any demand is accompanied, are calculated to subject him or members of his family or household to alarm, distress or humiliation;
falsely represents, in relation to the money claimed, that criminal proceedings lie for failure to pay it;
falsely represents himself to be authorised in some official capacity to claim or enforce payment; or
utters a document falsely represented by him to have some official character, or purporting to have some official character which he know it has not.
A person may be guilty of an offence by virtue of sub-section (1) (a) above if he concerts with others in the taking of such actions as is described in that paragraph, notwithstanding that his own course of conduct does not by itself amount to harassment.”

It is a criminal offence. Harassment includes chasing people for money at their place of work.
Basically they either have to issue legal proceedings against you or leave you alone.
I would not be at all surprised if the police do not take this seriously in which case you need to speak to a senior officer or make a complaint to the chief Constable.
Just make sure that you do follow everything up in writing.
Does that answer the question?
Can I answer any specific points or clarify anything?
If you have not done already, please don't forget to positively rate my answer service even if it was not what you wanted to hear. You should now see a series of buttons which enable you to rate my answer service formally.
If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0 for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive rating.
It doesn’t give me, “a pat on the head”, “good boy” (like ebay), it is my livelihood!
If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little, please ask.
The thread does remain open for me to answer follow-up questions after rating my answer service.
Rating doesn’t close the enquiry at all even though the site may give that impression. It remains open for you to read and ask for further clarification.