75100385

My granddaughter has to travel 2.9 miles to school because

Customer Question

My granddaughter has to travel 2.9 miles to school because the council said that my daughter had not received a confirmation e-mail of her request for her child to go to the school nearest her. She has conformed with this for 12 months after losing an appeal and has reapplied and been refused again this year. Surely even convicted people should have a second chance after serving their "sentence".

AlexWatts2013 :

Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return.

AlexWatts2013 :

When you say 'convicted people' - I do not quite understand what you mean please?

JACUSTOMER-8fje5fo3- :

My daughter feels she is being punished by the council. My meaning of convicted people was IF she made a mistake the child has to go to the school 2.9 miles away for at least 4 years....So 1 mistake is causing undue stress and disharmony to family life.....I would hope for more compassion and understanding from the council and more consideration for the child who at some point may have to walk to and from school.

AlexWatts2013 :

Is there a school that is nearer please?

AlexWatts2013 :

I do not quite understand when you say about the confirmation email?

JACUSTOMER-8fje5fo3- :

There is a school about half a mile away...which is where we wanted her to go. Apparently you apply for a school place by e-mail and the council send you a conformation

JACUSTOMER-8fje5fo3- :

There is a school about half a mile away.... which is where we wanted her to go. Apparently you apply for a school place by email and the council send you a confirmation email, which we didn't receive.

JACUSTOMER-8fje5fo3- :

We have no proof that the council didn't lose the email, that my daughter is positive she sent. The point made by the council that there would be a place immediately available for any child who newly moved into the area, seems to prove that there are places available, so why not for a resident who already lives here. My daughter has re-applied for Sept 2013 start and has been turned down again,

AlexWatts2013 :

Does your daughter have a copy of the sent email in the sent items folder please?

JACUSTOMER-8fje5fo3- :

no

AlexWatts2013 :

Was it web based or something like Outlook she is using?