75100385

I have a neighbour with 5 cats which all use my garden for

Customer Question

I have a neighbour with 5 cats which all use my garden for fouling. I have 2 young children playing in my garden. Have I any legal way of stopping these cats and am I breaking the law by returning the fouling to my neighbour's property.

AlexWatts2013 :

Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return.

AlexWatts2013 :

Have you spoken to your neighbour about this yet please?

JACUSTOMER-8fje5fo3- :

yes....she doesn't care

AlexWatts2013 :

I am sorry that you have to live with this. As a matter of law cats are classed as free spirits and that means the owner is generally not liable for their actions. But that does not stop you taking measures in discouraging them coming onto your land, either by erecting fences or using some sort of deterrent. Yes you can return the poo to next door, there is nothing to stop you doing this as long as it is from their cats.

AlexWatts2013 :