12826847

I have had a fraudulent transaction on my Barclays banking

Customer Question

I have had a fraudulent transaction on my Barclays banking card on the 20.7.13. the bank phoned me about it on the 19.7.13 and cancelled my card on said date. Next morning I phoned Sainsburys who they said was where the order was placed but Sainsburys checked and no online order was placed since 20.5.13 which was a genuine order. I phoned the bank and they said it was an in shop order, then I get a letter saying it was online, Sainsburys still insist that there has only ever been one order which was the 20.5.13 one. I have now had a letter from Barclays saying that as I have had a previous order with Sainsburys they consider the amount which was £305.22 was not faudilent. I pay Barclays £6 a month insurance to protect me against this sort of thing.
HI.

Thank you for your question . My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

How can I help with this please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I want to know why should Barclays consider this is not fraudulent just because I had one order with Sainsburys in the passed. I was told when they asked me to pay £6 a month insurance that this would cover me against fraud, and loss of keys and purse.

Well, obviously I haven't heard their account.

However, I would imagine that the point they are making is that this incident was not caused because their security measures failed.

I imagine their point is that the card details were saved by Sainsburys' and handed to them originally by you.

Barclays therefore are not responsible because their measures were not the cause of this.

That doesn't mean that you don't have a claim against Sainsburys or anybody else who is responsible.

But to bring a claim against Barclays you will have to show that the fraud has been cause by the failure of their measures - e.g the hacking of pin numbers etc. Thats why usually these insurances are voided if you lose your card and the pin number together.

I am sorry if this is bad news but thats your position and I have to give you truthful information.