13262538

I have been separated for eight years as my wife left to live

Customer Question

I have been separated for eight years as my wife left to live with a neighbour and friend, I moved away ,am retired with a pension . is my wife entitled to part of my pension if she remarries ?
Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I am Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects.
Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that case. I will be online and off-line all day today.

It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me while I gather some further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully.

Are you still legally married to your wife?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes , we split everythiing except pension where she agreed not to take half but a lower portion I took out a mortgage to enable me to have a reasonable house we are on good terms
Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.
I am currently away from my computer but I will respond to you as soon as possible.

There is no need for you to reply.
Thank you for your question
Given that you are still married your wife does indeed retain the right to a spouses pension of you die - or to make a claim on your pension if you divorce
The fact that you have already split the assets between you may well mean that the Court will not grant her a further share of your pension.
If you divorce and she remarried then she will have no claim on your pension unless a pension sharing order is already in place
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Claire