12826847

my neighbour who lives just over the narrow road tries to shout

Customer Question

my neighbour who lives just over the narrow road tries to shout to me in a bullying way ie "keep your dog quiet", "have your dog put down"." when I am away from home I will have everything you do or your dog does recorded". The only thing I am guilty of is being a friendly neighbour. I have been to see my doctor and have some tablets for stress.
HI.

Thank you for your question . My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

How can I help with this please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

FORJOMO1772
My neighbour who is 54 years old enjoys, as it appears, bullying women on their own. I live alone with my dog and I am older than my neighbour and not very strong. When he starts shouting at me I do not reply but just walk away. I need to know what I can do. He shouts at me a couple of times per day and I have only be pleasant to him.

Is there any reason you need to see him?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I cannot avoid seeing him because we both go in and out of our properties. He awaits my leaving my property which appears he wants to bully me. He always has his 28 year old son present to witness what he is saying to me and then backs him when he says he said what he did not. I say nothing to him at all.

I completely see why this is annoying to you but we are all hampered by the law.

You could report his behaviour to the Council who will probably tell you to keep a diary of these incidents for 28 days.

You could report it to the police. At least some of it would probably amount to a S5 public order and maybe a low level harassment.

I'm afraid though that you cannot get an order from the court that prevents him doing this. I suppose you could seek an injunction to prevent him from speaking to you at all but if you made a report to the police they would probably just give him a harassment warning which has the same effect. The civil court is not going to make an order that he become a better neighbour. Its something the law doesn't have control over. It would be like the family court making an order that the parties get back together. A court can only order that a person refrain from doing something or take some specified action.

I'm very sorry if this is bad news but I can only give you truthful information.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

JOMO1972

Has my neighbour the right to record all he hears me say or photograph my movements

It depends.

If its a fairly limited amount then there is no law against that.

If its prolonged then it could support a harassment allegation.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do not believe he can take photographs of me in my own garden or record what I say.

Ok.

Best of luck then.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

FORJOMO1972

thanks

No problem.

All the best.