How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jo C. Your Own Question

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 70105
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

my neighbour who lives just over the narrow road tries to shout

Customer Question

my neighbour who lives just over the narrow road tries to shout to me in a bullying way ie "keep your dog quiet", "have your dog put down"." when I am away from home I will have everything you do or your dog does recorded". The only thing I am guilty of is being a friendly neighbour. I have been to see my doctor and have some tablets for stress.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question . My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

How can I help with this please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My neighbour who is 54 years old enjoys, as it appears, bullying women on their own. I live alone with my dog and I am older than my neighbour and not very strong. When he starts shouting at me I do not reply but just walk away. I need to know what I can do. He shouts at me a couple of times per day and I have only be pleasant to him.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.

Is there any reason you need to see him?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I cannot avoid seeing him because we both go in and out of our properties. He awaits my leaving my property which appears he wants to bully me. He always has his 28 year old son present to witness what he is saying to me and then backs him when he says he said what he did not. I say nothing to him at all.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.

I completely see why this is annoying to you but we are all hampered by the law.

You could report his behaviour to the Council who will probably tell you to keep a diary of these incidents for 28 days.

You could report it to the police. At least some of it would probably amount to a S5 public order and maybe a low level harassment.

I'm afraid though that you cannot get an order from the court that prevents him doing this. I suppose you could seek an injunction to prevent him from speaking to you at all but if you made a report to the police they would probably just give him a harassment warning which has the same effect. The civil court is not going to make an order that he become a better neighbour. Its something the law doesn't have control over. It would be like the family court making an order that the parties get back together. A court can only order that a person refrain from doing something or take some specified action.

I'm very sorry if this is bad news but I can only give you truthful information.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.



Has my neighbour the right to record all he hears me say or photograph my movements

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
It depends.

If its a fairly limited amount then there is no law against that.

If its prolonged then it could support a harassment allegation.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do not believe he can take photographs of me in my own garden or record what I say.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.

Best of luck then.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.




Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
No problem.

All the best.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice