Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street Practice
11292137

l have a business, l took on the lease 1.4.2013 paid april

Customer Question

l have a business, l took on the lease 1.4.2013 paid april and may rent did not pay the quarter june july august rent l am now able to pay what can l do can she still evict me
Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.
Why did you not pay?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

l set up a standing order with my bank it was delayed and the landlord passed me in july by post the standing order of her bank which l do want to pay now

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

new business starting up

Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.
This is a business lease. It is completely different from a residential lease. However whether the landlord can evict you not really comes down to the terms of the lease the lease will tell you after which period a landlord is able evict you or not. The landlord does not need a court order. Usually they will be wording such as ”if the rent is not paid for 21 days (or 14 or 28 or any other period) after becoming due, whether formally demanded or not the landlord is entitled to determine the lease and peacefully re-enter the property”.
It can be worded in a whole load of different ways but that is the general gist.
Basically, there will be a rent payment period in the lease (assuming it is properly drafted of course) and as soon as the rent is one day late the landlord is entitled to let himself back into the property, change the locks, and stick a notice on the door that says that the property has been repossessed. The landlord is not entitled to keep any of the things that are left in the property but can hold them under the Torts Interference of Goods Act, subject to certain conditions, until all outstanding rent is paid.
You are liable for outstanding rent right until the end of the term (even though you are no longer in the property) or until the landlord gets a new tenant. If you signed in a personal capacity as the tenant, then you are personally liable.
Does that answer the question?
Can I answer any specific points or clarify anything?
If you have not done already, please don't forget to positively rate my answer service even if it was not what you wanted to hear. You should now see a series of buttons which enable you to rate my answer service formally.
If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0 for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive rating.
It doesn’t give me, “a pat on the head”, “good boy” (like ebay), it is my livelihood!
If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little, please ask.
The thread does remain open for me to answer follow-up questions after rating my answer service.
Rating doesn’t close the enquiry at all even though the site may give that impression. It remains open for you to read and ask for further clarification.
Regards.