tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
73598664

Hi How do I counter a legal action threat from a Uk university

Customer Question

How do I counter a legal action threat from a Uk university for unpaid course fees. I pulled out of a Uni course less than two months after the start date. I had to pay student finance over £2,000 and the Uni themselves have claimed I also owe them additional fees. I have clearly stated in writing that I dispute this payment as my leave date was prior to the cut-off point for the Uni fee.
Any advice on how to proceed gratefully appreciated
Katie Hill
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.

tdlawyer :

Hello, welcome to Justanswer. My name is Tony and I shall assist with your question.

tdlawyer :

On what basis do you contest their claim to the fees?

JACUSTOMER-oqiw0p7u- :

I resigned from the course within the time period allowed. The uni does not seem to accept this fact.

tdlawyer :

And if you resign within that period, you don't have to pay, is that right?

JACUSTOMER-oqiw0p7u- :

Thats correct. The issue for me is the resignation email was sent using the student mail system of which i no longer have access. So i have nothing in writing showing my resignation however student finance have the record of my resignation

tdlawyer :

They if you're confident it was sent on time, it would have to be revealed to you if this went further anyway. The Court would require that if you asked for it.

tdlawyer :

This is small claims at £2,000, but if you resigned in time and allowed to cancel, then this email is crucial and if you explained that to the court when (or if) sued, then I'm sure the Court would require that be provided to you.

tdlawyer :

At the end of the day the if you can show you withdrew in the cancellation period, you're not liable.

tdlawyer :

Would you like me to give information on a specific aspect of all of this?