13262538

My Aunt is in a residential care home and gets confused/forgetful.

Customer Question

My Aunt is in a residential care home and gets confused/forgetful. I am meeting with dept for work and pensions and they suggest I should be an appointee but I thought I needed power of attourney. I am retiring on the 30th September and wondered if this will affect me, looking as though I have another income. Many thanks. Sue.
Thanks you for your question
I shall do my best to help you
If your Aunt no longer has mental capacity then she cannot sign a Power of Attorney.
This means you would either have to take on the expense of applying to be appointed as her Deputy (https://www.gov.uk/become-deputy/overview)
or you can take to option suggested by the DWP which will allow you to process her pension and benefits.
Your employment position is not relevant at all
I hope that this is of assistance
Please ask if you need further details
Claire
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Many thanks.
You are most welcome - I hope all goes well
Claire