75100385

Hello there, in need of some help please regarding a final

Customer Question

Hello there, in need of some help please regarding a final demand from a debt recovery investigators for outstanding membership fees for exclusive club Malta. In 2010 while on holiday in Malta,, a young man approached us, walking along he gave us my husband and myself a couple of scratch cards, asking us to scratch of the cards to see if we had won.We said we would do it later on return to the hotel, he took the cards from us and scratched them himself saying we had won a holiday to go along with him to the hotel Kennedy, on arrival at the hotel, they took us upstairs to the offices and asked if we would like to pay £3000.00 pounds to join that we could have a holiday every year any where in the world. We said we were only interested holidaying in Italy, as my husbands family live there and we go every year. reply was no problem, on return to the united kingdom we would receive a book with all the hotels available in Italy. A week later on our return we received a bill from them for the yearly management fees, my husband said he would not pay this fee as we had not received a book for any hotels in Italy. we have now management fees of £1,217.07 stating if we do not pay this within 7 days they will take proceedings against us Have been today to citizens advice they say to get in touch with consumer rights. please can you advise, thanking you, kind regards XXXXX XXXXX

AlexWatts2013 :

Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return.

AlexWatts2013 :

Do you have any form of contract paperwork please?

JACUSTOMER-ym6a5ebm- :

yes

AlexWatts2013 :

What does it say about cancellation and dispute jurisdiction please?

AlexWatts2013 :

I just need to drop offline for around 30 mins or so but I will pick this up later this evening to continue our conversation.

JACUSTOMER-ym6a5ebm- :

in absolute discretion of management company any member shall have committed a substantial breach of obligations imposed on him herein then the member's membership may be suspended by management company by giving written notice to this effect to the member as no such notices have been given the suspension does not apply,as you will note from purchase agreement schedule A . that the contract expires on 31st December 2035 and therefore as per legal requirements the membership necessitates to be respected for the duration of this period. however the club understands that sometimes circumstances change and our members may not be able to use their membership. therefore in order to assist, the club has now a surrender scheme whereby members whose management fees are up to date a nominal fee of £ 1000.00, which will release them from all future management fees

AlexWatts2013 : Does it say what country the agreement is governed by please?