12826847

“You can make certain types of minor changes to your house

Customer Question

“You can make certain types of minor changes to your house without needing to apply for planning permission. These are called "permitted development rights" and are described in this guide. They derive from a general planning permission granted not by the local authority but by Parliament. Bear in mind that the permitted development rights, which apply to many common projects for houses do not apply to flats, maisonettes or other buildings”. http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/responsibilities/planningpermission/permitted. Dear Online Ombudsman Solicitor. Can you confirm the above regulation about permitted Development Rights is extant particularly the final sentence about not being applicable to flats. Michael XXXX [email protected]

Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question here on Just answer. It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me if I need to ask for any further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully. My name isXXXXX and I am a practising solicitor. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects.
Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that case. I will be online and off-line all day most weekdays and weekends.
Do you have a specific question?