Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street Practice
11292137

I was involved in an accident on 14 July 2013. My insurance

Customer Question

I was involved in an accident on 14 July 2013. My insurance was voided from inception due to an inaccurate information., however b'cos i hit a third party car that was stationary and i had just paid two months of my insurance, my insurance company has asked me to pay the remaining amount for the year which is £1400 which I'm currently paying in instalments.

However there were two passengers in my car who were injured, if they claimed for compensation wld my insurance bill me with the amount?

As the claim is currently open, wld the third party's insurance send me a bill when the claim is completed?

Can you please shed some light on how a voided insurance can affect my insurance for the future?

I had driven for almost 3 years without a claim, does the accident I had on 14/07/2013 wipe out all my no claim bonus?

If there is any other information regarding this sort of situation, i wld be happy for you to shed light on it.

Looking forward to hearing from u.
Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question here on Just answer. It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me if I need to ask for any further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully. My name is Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects.

Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that case. I will be online and off-line all day most weekdays and weekends.

What information did you provide that was inaccurate?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The main drivers job was different from what was on records but that was b'cos his job then was contract basis so it ended.

A friend who helped us fill details entered incorrect pass dates.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.
What date was enetered and what date is correct?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

test past date for policy holder - 7/10/2011 incorrect info ( 07/06/2009)

test past date for me - 13/08/2010 incorrect info (07/06/2004)

Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.
So the details made it appear that you had been driving longer than you had been?
Are you the driver or policyholder or both?
Is the insurance co settling the 3rd party claim?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes
I am the driver
The insurance is settling the third party
Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.
I am confused by this because if it is voided from inception you are entitled to 100% refund and then you are not insured and have to deal with the cliam yourself in total.
However it appears that for some strange reason the insurance co are dealing with it for you.
If the insurance is voided then they will be enitiled to recover the costs of settling the claim from you.
The saving grace , if they chase you for tghe cost of the claims would be a complaint to the Financial Ombudsman to see, if in the ombudsmans opinion, the dates should have affecetd the insurance company's attitude to risk and they would have insured you anyway even if you gave the ccorrect dates.
The FO doesnt like insurance co looking for loopholes to try to wriggle out of paying claims.
Can I help further?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
U didn't touch on the subject of my injured passengers whether if they made the claim I wlbe made to pay by my insurance
Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.
I am away from my computer but will come back to you as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience, there is no need for you to reply.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi, it's taken u a bit of time to answer this question which was part of the original question . Do you know when u will get back to me
Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.

I apologise for
being so long getting back to you but they slipped off my radar. I'm sorry for
the delay.

If your passengers
claim for an injury caused by your driving, then you are liable for the cost of
paying those claims if your insurance company decide that your insurance was
cancelled. However you are at liberty to tell the insurance company that you
will deal with the claim yourself and you are then faced with being sued
personally and paying the claims out personally.

However if you don't
deal with it, the injured passengers can simply ask the motor insurers bureau
to deal with it under their uninsured drivers scheme and then it will be dealt
with by the insurance company and if the insurance company do settle the matter
on a commercial basis, you will be liable for those costs.

Does that answer?

Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.

This shows as requiring further input from me. Can I assist further?

Please do not
forget to positively rate my answer service otherwise I don't get paid for my
time. The thread does remain open and we can continue the exchange if you need
to