75100385

I took a loan for my first year of university from my uncle

Customer Question

I took a loan for my first year of university from my uncle in 2002 and have only been able to repay £425. I have been finding it difficult to make any sort of payments as when I was employed my wages were low and because I was a short term contracted employee I did not meet the criteria to get a loan. My uncle did issue court proceedings in trinidad demanding fulll payment and I did make the court aware of my commitments in detail and the little disposable cash I had and heard nothing back. I have since moved with my husband to the UK with our three children.i Have just recently received a solicitors letter demanding twice times the amout which is over £12,000, when the outstanding balance was £6000.00, I am unemployed My husband is the sole earner as a security guard. I do intended to work part time as soon as my youngest can have access to the sponsered daycare which is 15 hours a week. I have tried to repay the laon, I have tried looking for jobs that can fit around my family and I have come up against a brink wall. The stress of it all is taking its toll on my health. What do I do! The lawyer has now taken to going through my linked account.

AlexWatts2013 :

Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return.

AlexWatts2013 :

Just to confirm that you are in the UK please? When did you last make payment and what date were the Trinidad Court proceedings please?

JACUSTOMER-c1k042mw- :

I am currently in the Uk. last payment was 6th april 2010. Date of court proceedings was dated the 12th june 2012

AlexWatts2013 :

And do you know the basis on how they have charged £6000 extra? Do you know how much the Court Judgment was for?

JACUSTOMER-c1k042mw- :

the solicitor calcuated the interest on the amount of 6425 at an annual rate of£514 8% of 6425 it stated here interest amount s to £5600 and will continue to be claimed at an amount of £1.41 and that the total is 12,000 plus fixed cost

JACUSTOMER-c1k042mw- :

the court judgement was for 63,067.00 tt dollars which was inclusive of interest at a rate of 17.83 tt per day from the 3rd of october 2011 until the 29th may 2012. it states the claimant fixed sum is 650 tt court fees on entering judgement 50tt court fees claim of 70 tt

AlexWatts2013 :

Is that US$?

AlexWatts2013 :

Did you ever get notice of proceedings?

JACUSTOMER-c1k042mw- :

no trinidadina and tobago dollars, i was sent a letter from his lawyers in trinidad and did go into te high court to admit the loan was outstanding and request time to pay it off, giving details of my income and my commmitments and disposable income if any.

AlexWatts2013 :

Did you contest the claim or admit it? Did the Court order payment of a monthly sum?

JACUSTOMER-c1k042mw- :

i admitted it , i did not get any notice from the court after that.

AlexWatts2013 :

So $63k is about £6000 - right?

JACUSTOMER-c1k042mw- :

may or may not be dependant on the rate of exchange

AlexWatts2013 :

Yes I think it is roughly. Have they said how they get to £12k? Did you ever agree in writing that you would pay any additional legal costs with your uncle?

JACUSTOMER-c1k042mw- :

I have not agreed to pay any additional legal cost they have only been mention in the letters sent

AlexWatts2013 :

Right I understand. Is it a UK lawyer that has contacted you?

JACUSTOMER-c1k042mw- :

yes it is

AlexWatts2013 :

Did you defend or admit the debt at Court in Trinidad?

JACUSTOMER-c1k042mw- :

sorry i tjought i answered this question. I admitted the debt

AlexWatts2013 :

Thank you. In that case you should write to the Solicitor saying that there is no UK registered County Court Judgment. However due to legislation Trinidad debts can be enforced here and you do not want that to happen otherwise you would get a CCJ. Therefore you would do well in sending an income and expenditure document outlining what you can afford. But what I would say is that you should write and say that you are ONLY admitting the debt as the Court ordered. They can not justify a further £6000 in any form of charges and you would dispute this. They can only claim the amount the Court ordered against you.

JACUSTOMER-c1k042mw- :

ok thank you, in such proceedings are doliciotrs allowed to go through your linked accounts

AlexWatts2013 :

When you say linked, what do you mean?

JACUSTOMER-c1k042mw- :

I opened a linkedin account and in his emails is has made reference to this, is this allowed?

AlexWatts2013 :

Assuming he did not hack anything then yes.